• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Remap required?

WelshyWelsh

TRO Supporter
Now the car is no longer a daily, I'd like to get a tasty cat back exhaust fitted.

Had the car custom mapped as standard with just Mugen intake nearly two years ago. Therefore as quite a bit of time has passed, TDI may have to do a brand new map rather than adjust the existing one which is significantly more £££.

So the question is, as I'm just adding a cat back, would this new map/remap really be needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as such to get you away but if you wanted to see the full benefit of adding the cat back then I would recommend having the map tweaked.

Changing a catback or intake, you'll be fine without a remap, you will need one when changing intake/exhaust manifold.

A remap will get the most out of the mods though. Seems you already have a map I would get it tweaked as Krzys said.

The expensive part of mapping is actually buying the Hondata and fitting, just tweaking the map shouldn't be too expensive.

Thanks guys. TDI have said too much time has passed since the original map so due to software changing a new map (and associated cost) is my option.

As long as I don't lose performance I think I'll give it a try without.

is it safe for engine to run without mapping after adding exhaust manifold?? i have dc sport 4-2-1 waiting to fit...

Would this be the same for a DC5 4-2-1 when fitted to an EP3? I have one but can't afford a remap so will sell it on if bad for the car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The DC5 doesn't have a 4-2-1 as standard, it is a 4-2 and a 2-1 section with a cat. I wouldn't say it needs a remap fitting those but it's always best to get the A/F ratio measured, either on a dyno or with a wideband O2 sensor.

That's worth pointing out, the UKDM O2 sensor is not a straight fit into a dc5 manifold and you will likely end up with an EML on due to the O2 sensor not protruding into the airflow correctly. The a/f ratio won't be a bike ride out in reality but the car's ECU will over compensate due to the misleading O2 sensor.

Thank you both. Would you suggest leaving it as standard and just going with a catback in that case? Sounds like it may cause more problems that it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got a DC5 manifold and cat on mine without a map at the moment and it's running fine, no issues, it seems to have more mid range now.

The EML would come on because of the O2 sensor but I bought a spacer from Tegiwa and it hasn't been on since, the sensor wire is at full stretch though with this fitted.

Doing a service sometime tomorrow or Sunday so will get a chance to check things over. I will get a remap on it at some point but at the moment it's running fine been on for about 8-9 months, used daily too.

It definitely has a freer flowing cat, as first attempt at emission testing in the MOT station it failed, I have a friendly tester though, friend of my dad's and I've been going there since I past my test, so we give it some revs then it went through fine second attempt. I did make him aware before testing that it could be slightly freer flowing.

in Poland it is "normal" thing to run 4-2-1 (DC sport, tegiwa, japspeed) without mapping/hondata... some car's are running without it for year or two... but i'm not a big fun of it...

Back