• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Remote Start !

Hi guys, I want to get Remote Start for my 03 CTR, I know you get just the remote start system but does anyone know if one would be compatible with the standard thatcham without killing it or do I really need to get a whole new system with the remote start included ????:confused:

Plus 1 on this!! Would make cold mornings a little nicer!! :)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

You need to have that conversation with your insurance company first. I seem to remember something about them not being allowed in the UK.

Edit – further reading suggests that not only is it illegal to leave a car running unattended in the UK, its also an offence to leave it running while stationary for more than a reasonable time (i.e. you should technically turn it off in traffic jams by law) but also most insurances only cover you if you leave the car secure and not running, if you leave it in any other state you’re invalidating your insurance meaning your could also technically be “had” for that too.

Personally I don’t see the point in remote start anyway, but I’m sure its helpful at times in some circumstances, each to his own etc.

I think what you've read relates to leaving the car running with the keys in, which these kits don't do.

Police cars for example are fitted with run locks, so that you can leave the engine on to make sure the battery doesn't die if you leave the rear reds on whilst attending a scene etc and still take the keys with you.

I believe having one fitted doesn't invalidate the insurance completely, but the discount you may get from having an alarm fitted is taken away. If the kit is fitted properly the car won't be drive able until you put the key in, meaning it can still be secure whilst running.

It's not for me though. Bad for the engine too, you need to get the oil up to operating temperature as soon as practicable really.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Clifford has remote start but I don't use it, even on cold.  In saying that, if I did want to use it;

The car stays locked until it's unlocked by the alarm fob. If some scrote came along and tried the door, he'd either walk off or be forced to break the window. This sets the alarm off as it's still active. The scumbag will now leg it. If he decides to stick a slim jim down to pop the lock, he'll get in and be able to drive a couple yards down the street and the blackjax will beep for the code to be put in. Mr. Scummy wont know the code so the blackjax switches on, the car pops the locks open, kills the engine and the alarm goes mental.

A few years back... My friend had one of these on his Frankensitein'd civic EJ2. He was really proud he'd installed it by himself and that his car was going to be warm when he got to it after work. He was so proud he gathered everyone together in the brew room overlooking the car park and announced that he was going to start his engine and get the heater on... Forgetting he'd left it in gear, we all watched him stall/jump his car into the 4x4 parked infront of him leaving a tow bar shaped impression in his bumper/bonnet. Much lols.

I did something similar once, was working on my car and needed to move it forward a bit. Knew it was in gear with my keys in the ignition so thought I'd be a smart arse just stick my arm in the window and turn it over, imagining the car would gently move forward on the starter motor and stop nicely. What actually happened was the car turned over and started, and promptly drove itself into a hedge. Managed to jump through the window and switch it off before it did any real damage.

We'll it seems like a personal preference to me and as for security wise, my mate has the Clifford too and it stays locked until he chooses to open it. Dont suppose anyone does actually know if a you can buy a remote start which is compatible with the CTR ep3 alarm/immobiliser system ??

I had remote start fitted to my last DC2 and it was FANTASTIC in winter time - I had it fitted as part of my Toad alarm system.

It worked from the fob and the car stayed locked while running. And Even if someone did try theyre luck and break in it to try and steal it, as soon as the handbrake was released the car turned off so it wasn't going anywhere unless I was in the driving seat :lol:

I would love to have it fitted to my current DC2 - well worth it on cold wintry mornings!!

You know idling the engine to warm it up creates more wear right?

The best and most efficient way is to actually drive it gently.

You know idling the engine to warm it up creates more wear right?

The best and most efficient way is to actually drive it gently.
I have been sitting for like 5 mins everytime i start my car so its safer to just drive it slowly? Save me some time then i make myself late waiting on it heating up lol.

Yep.

It heats the oil faster by actually putting load into it. And the gearbox too.

Just gentle driving. Nothing hard.

Well id like to thank everyone for the input, its been really helpful and I think I will have to weigh up the pros and cons now before thinking of getting this installed :-/ ! Cheers fellas !!!

Back