• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Removing Aftermarket Air Intake and Fitting Original Airbox

A-R

Hi all,

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I have just bought an EP3 and need to remove the aftermarket air intake it came with in order to fit the original/standard air box for insurance purposes. I have the original part but have no idea what fittings and tools I would need so if anyone has any experience of fitting the standard air box/ filter and can provide instructions on how to do it and what tools and fittings I’ll need that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You should have the airbox, two pipes, a filter, two bolts for attaching the airbox, a nut for the back left airbox fitment, three rubber bung things where the airbox attaches, a bolt and bung where the intake pipe fits to the front of the engine bay, two jubilee clips for the throttle body to airbox pipe, an air temp sensor to plug in this pipe, a pipe connector for each of the breathers. Got it all?

The only tools you’ll need are sockets/Allen keys for your top half bolts (I swapped the OEM for stainless Allen head bolts cause the OEM were fooked), then whatever screwdriver/socket the jubilee clip on the pipe from the top of the box to the TB, 8/10mm socket for the nut and box to fix the bottom of box into the bay and finally a pair of pliers/visegrips/the proper tool to do the hose clips on valve cover breather pipe that goes into the top section of the air box.

I guess slightly more obviously you should also check you have the two bits of the airbox, plus the two rigid plastic pipes.

Fittings... you need to check you’ve got the rubber seal in the top half of the air box. All of the screws that hold the top of the box in (about 6-8 ish), the long bolt that goes on the near side of the bottom half of the box to hold it down, the short bolt and the nut for the off-side of the bottom box. Then the jubilee clip for sticking the pipe on (usually one off the open cone is just about the right size and can be re-used), and the breather pipe with corresponding hose clips.

Instructions... if you’ve got experience doing basic car mechanics you probably won’t need them, otherwise search for the ep3 workshop manual online, and on this / other forums. There are lots of guides out there with pics to supplement the correct procedure that’s explained in the shop manual.

You’ll also want a can of carb cleaner and some lint free rags to clean up the box and pipes before you fit them in. Also worth giving the insides of the TB a wipe down while the bits are half way off, if you have time and are confident.

For reference, I was tinkering with mine at the weekend so it’s pretty fresh in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Green is where the airbox fits to the engine bay, blue are the breather and af sensor connections. Blue in the other pic is where the intake pipe fits, put this in before you put the airbox in

Attachments

• sketch-1537520993563-939x540.png
    sketch-1537520993563-939x540.png
    635.1 KB · Views: 25
  • sketch-1537521043287.png
    sketch-1537521043287.png
    867.4 KB · Views: 24
Perfect, thanks a lot for the help here guys, I really appreciate it! I’ll check if I’ve got all the parts as soon as I’m home

Thanks again!

Its a relatively simple task as even a no-hoper like me has managed to remove the airbox box assembly to fit an K&N 57i, then remove that and revert back to standard and then remove again to fit a K&N typhoon

Back