• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing calipers - how to block brake lines?

I will soon be painting my calipers black (got DS2500's). They are currently a rusty orange and so need a really good clean. They need such a good clean that I can't just clean them whilst on the car as some people on here have already done.

I'm all good with it as Ive changed the discs a few weeks back but I have one stumbling block - how do I prevent all the brake fluid from emptying out?

I have read that grips work but theres some risk, so I would like to avoid that id possible unless its very highly recommended...

Cheers

You can get grips specially to block brake hoses. Halfords sell em

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

No mate. They are specifically designed to clamp rubber brake hose. I've got one

uqumeten.jpg

J1thu what is the tool called as im struggling to find it on halfords site?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks loxy seen them two but would preferably want the tool shown above

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sorry mate. Been on holiday. Just got back. Draper is the one pal. I've had mine years and Halfords do do Draper. Amazon's cool though.

Don't forget to bleed them after, you 're bound to get some air in there. I've always used mole grips on rubber brake lines, never had a problem, they don't need to go too tight. Braided lines is obviously another issue

durmz its just enough to let it spill out right? And if you arent draining the whole thing I assume you dont need to follow the specific order?

Drumz is right. You should always do a brake bleed mate. The clamp is there to stop it all spilling out and causing an airlock issue.

You can just wedge the brake pedal down you know with a block of wood. No leaks job done

?

If you have the brake pedal pressed down no fluid will leak out the lines when the caliper is removed. It needs to be kept pressed down until re fitted hence wedging it in place

I wouldn't chance it. Been a mechanic for 15 years now and have always bled the brakes if the lines have been compromised.

Back