• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing ecU.

Okay, Is it easy to remove the old ecU?

Found this on ctro

Aaron Coady said:
gilberto said:
Does anyone have a guide to removing the Kpro ecu? i remember someone posted a picture guide but i cant find it using the search function.

Help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

A screwdriver, 10mm socket.

Remove the cover underneath the glovebox

Use the screwdriver (FLATHEAD) to prise away the plugs from the ECU, There are 3 in total ... do not pull the wires, And becareful when prising away, that you do not snap or chip anything!

Open the glovebox, push the two corners inwards, and the glovebox will fall open.

Undo 10mm bolts - they'res 3 of them.

Done.

Are the plugs hard to pull?? Is it fiddly? Anyone got any tips? Worried I would chop something in the midst of removing the ecU..... Can I just unplug by pulling?

Yes it is easy.

Thread can be closed :lol:

Hahha - that's good to hear! :)

But can I just pull the plugs though? or do I need to prise it away?

I am on a tight time schedule when I am getting everything done, so just making sure I know exactly what I need to do on the day in advance.

Hahha - that's good to hear! :)

But can I just pull the plugs though? or do I need to prise it away?

I am on a tight time schedule when I am getting everything done, so just making sure I know exactly what I need to do on the day in advance.

As per what you posted above:

Use the screwdriver (FLATHEAD) to prise away the plugs from the ECU, There are 3 in total ... do not pull the wires, And becareful when prising away, that you do not snap or chip anything

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery? hearing that this is not necessary?? experiences anyone?

Sorry for the questions - want to make sure I get it 100% right! :) thanks TRO!

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery? hearing that this is not necessary?? experiences anyone?

Sorry for the questions - want to make sure I get it 100% right! :) thanks TRO!

It isn't necessary if you can be sure you aren't going to cross any pins on the ECU or loom with the screwdriver.

I'd disconnect it personally, less to go wrong.

I disconnected the battery when doing mine just because I always disconnect the power supply when working on anything electrical, it's good working practise IMO. The downside of this is that you will need your stereo code to unlock your headunit again. It's in the owners manual (or at least mine was),

Don't use screwdrivers to 'prise' anything. Break one of those connectors are you're in a world of hurt. They are simple electrical connectors with clips, use your fingers and ensure the clips are pressed in, they're not so bad.

The best tip I can give you is remove the glovebox entirely, it makes access easy. Don't replace it until you've re-fit your ECU and started your car to ensure it works correctly.

hi guys are you all talking about doing this to ep3 plus i cant really see the wires connecting to my ecu...do it take the bolts off first then disconnect the wires??

nehu7eme.jpg

Disconnect wires first, you want to keep the cable as near to its resting position as possible.

i take the cables are going ito the back of the ecu or are they the onces to the right

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

There are no cables to the back of the ECU, they're all in the bottom. You can't miss them, they're huge. Mulicoloured wires into a grey plastic connector about 2-3 inches by 1 inch.

lol im an idiot just noticed it says remove cover under the glove box fist hence why i cant see the wires. when i finnish this think i will make a how too with pictures manny thanks buddy

Back