• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing factory CTR head unit...

...I've already checked out the sticky link on ICE/mods here - doesn't cover this in (any) detail as far as I can see. Do correct me if I am wrong and simply missed the section in question.

This is for a CTR 04 FL.

Anyway, Halfords want £40 to rip out what's there and provide and install a harness adapter (PC2-68-4) and Fascia adapter (FP-15-03).

I could just pick up the aforementioned kit for around £20.00 from ebay (only about £4.00 for the harness adapter - not £13 like from Halfords!) and fit it myself. Question is, has anyone done a guide detailing what needs to be done, and how delicate it is - I don't fancy breaking any plastic bits ;)

Seems to me it can't possibly be worth £20 in labour to have (I'm guessing...) the gearknob taken off, some plastic panels popped off, a block connector disconnected/reconnected and then popping the plastic parts back in.

This is close...http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=19 but lacking in some detail. Or is this sufficient for me not to f*ck it up?

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a guide here http://www.hondacivicforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4105

Forget the fascia, total ballache to fit, and the colour match is off. Looks much better without.

12022009208.jpg

Get stuck in mate, its pretty easy to do and straight forward once you get started. I can do them in about 40 mins now.

I found the securing nut on the right was much easier to remove using an extended socket, accessible after you remove the plastic trim from under the steering column. 3 screws IIRC.

Also put some vasciline on the clips before you pop it all back in, makes it much easier to remove it again in the future :)

Oh and try and secure all the wires to something as they will rattle and get on your breasticles.

Just found these few pics knocking around on my PC from when I fitted the double din nav unit to my wife's Type S EV1, same dash.

Anyhow just to give you an idea, nothing scary. Unscrew the gear knob, push your fingers into the gap behind the gear gator, without going through it, and pull. Gently!!

Once the bottom half is off you will then see two bolts on two brackets holding the head unit in. The right hand one is a piece of p1ss to get out but the left hand one is best accessed by dropping the glove box down and getting your hand and sockets in!

When it's all out it should look like this:
Image001.jpg

and lower down:
Image002.jpg

On the last photo you can see the holes that hold the spring clips from the bottom section, just keep tugging and they'll come out.

you dont need to pull the gear facia off, once its panel is loose you can turn it 180 to get to the upper section (disconnect the hazard and fag lighter first).

you dont need to pull the gear facia off, once its panel is loose you can turn it 180 to get to the upper section (disconnect the hazard and fag lighter first).

Fair point! Just seemed easier to take it off!

Well, done mine, thanks...

for the tips chaps...

was piece of pi** took me about 35 mins in the end. Once I had found the 8m SMALL spanner, that you really do need, not only to release stereo subframe but also to get to the (from rear) left hand side far head unit mounting screw, which you cannot get with a screwdriver as it is obscured.

Oh, and like someone else said - you really dont have to take the gearstick facia off, just pop off around edges, pull back over stick and rotate around a bit (once you disco'd the hazard/lighter connectors)

Anyway, about the trickiest bit in my experience was removing the little metal strut from behind the gearstick facia (was quite a fiddle and feels like you are gonna snap something!)

Would include pics but would be overkill with the amount now up here ;)

This has probs been covered about a million times, but I'm new to the CTR scene. I'm wondering if you can order a black centre console or if you just have to paint it yourself? I wouldn't say I'm too bad at painting as I've done wing mirrors etc in the past, but it would be a darn sight easier if I was just able to buy one.

Cheers people.

This has probs been covered about a million times, but I'm new to the CTR scene. I'm wondering if you can order a black centre console or if you just have to paint it yourself? I wouldn't say I'm too bad at painting as I've done wing mirrors etc in the past, but it would be a darn sight easier if I was just able to buy one.

Cheers people.

CTR consoles only come in silver.

My old CTR had a black one (painted)

IMG_1011.jpg

i thought of doing mine cosmic gey aswell as the door handle inserts but dont wanna make an arse of it.

Back