• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 removing restrictive exhaust for sound

Hi everyone this is my first thread here,

I'm thinking of removing my rusty old OEM back box for some nicer sound as a free mod? I'm used to loud cars as all my previous cars had aftermarket cat back systems on but just don't have money for an fn2 system atm considering they cost so much + don't have the patience chasing down a used miltek or martelius bearing in mind they still go expensive.

so bored of the stock sound on my fn2 now, appalled why it's so restricted out of the factory, shame on them.

anyone else done such cost effective mods? i've seen some R's about lately and they were the loudest things i've ever heard. Saw one last week rocket down a local high street, was louder than a super bike or v10, not even in a farty way but jaw droppingly loud......i'm guilty of actually enjoying the sound it made, was an ep3 though. I could imagine it could get anoyong but trust me in that moment you just want your's to sound like that too lol. I can only guess it was no certain aftermarket system as it was way too loud, probably a custom build or just a full exhaust removal? not sure but it was madness

not looking to get bombed for my question just want to know any more reviews from anyone who has removed bits of the exhaust system and if it caused any major performance issues? if i don't like it i'll just put it back, it's not a big deal, could just be a trial for me out of curiosity. Oh and no MOT police please, i'm aware of all those things.

You can't really buy just a B pipe for the FN2 as far as I'm aware. Most people do just swap the whole system over.

What were you thinking of removing?

You can't really buy just a B pipe for the FN2 as far as I'm aware. Most people do just swap the whole system over.

What were you thinking of removing?

people do it but don't know where they get the straight replacement pipes from. Was thinking of removing anything as long as it got louder and didn't have a bad effect on performance.

Try just removing the box on the b pipe first see if that makes much difference mate

ye i'm looking into this and have seen some videos of it sounding pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZblgRGn4AQ

don't know where to get the replacement straight pipe though

There's a supersprint b-pipe availiable for the FN2 but its pretty pricy, £300 ish I think. There are also a feat guys that have bad then silencers removed on their stock b-pipes at custom exhaust places but they have all said that it doesn't make alot of difference because the fear silencer is so large plus you have to two tailpipe silencers also!

there is a custom catback with unsilenced b-pipe and a pretty small rear box on eBay right now if your quick!

Everyone keeps telling me not to remove anything from the exhaust system because we "need backpressure - especially in Honda's with there very.. limited.. low down torque"

It's tosh Liam. I had a race manifold and decent cat back and made 170ftlb before I started with cams. K20s respond well to getting the gasses out easier.

There's a supersprint b-pipe availiable for the FN2 but its pretty pricy, £300 ish I think. There are also a feat guys that have bad then silencers removed on their stock b-pipes at custom exhaust places but they have all said that it doesn't make alot of difference because the fear silencer is so large plus you have to two tailpipe silencers also!

there is a custom catback with unsilenced b-pipe and a pretty small rear box on eBay right now if your quick!

just saw it on ebay, was hoping it would be cheaper but starting bid at £200, the guys probably dreaming of over £300 and it's collection only but since it's custom it can't be guaranteed and i don't really know what it sounds like so probably have to give it a miss.

just saw it on ebay, was hoping it would be cheaper but starting bid at £200, the guys probably dreaming of over £300 and it's collection only but since it's custom it can't be guaranteed and i don't really know what it sounds like so probably have to give it a miss.

My first thought were £200 starting bid for a custom was pretty steep, keep an eye on it! He may not get a bid at that price!

To be honest, I wasted a long time searching for a cheap alternative, in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new milltek and I wish id done it earlier! It's not too bad £499 from APB but if your after a really big noise the the Martelius is a similar price I think! The only other alternative is waiting and travelling to get one from eBay!

Having said that, you must have spent a small fortune on mugen bits!

Everyone keeps telling me not to remove anything from the exhaust system because we "need backpressure - especially in Honda's with there very.. limited.. low down torque"

Loxy is correct, it's absolute tosh.

Just to elaborate on this.... No internal combustion engine EVER MADE has required back pressure to operate correctly. It is a myth which has snowballed on internet forums.

There are connections between back pressure and torque, but it is by co-incidence rather than by design.

The highest performing exhaust will have the lowest back pressure with the highest velocity gas flow. The key is volume and velocity. Pressure is just a by-product.

To be honest, I wasted a long time searching for a cheap alternative, in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new milltek and I wish id done it earlier! It's not too bad £499 from APB but if your after a really big noise the the Martelius is a similar price I think! The only other alternative is waiting and travelling to get one from eBay!

Having said that, you must have spent a small fortune on mugen bits!

ye might end up saving for a brand new system but i think martelius is discontinued right? i did spend a fair amount on my mugen style parts but their not original mugen. They're from 'typeRkits', quality is good but rear underspoiler has not fit properly and won't fit because the cut or stiffness is incorrect around the top lip where it should meet the bumper, theres a gap as it won't meet no matter what you do. I hate typeRkits for many reasons, the service they gave me was appalling, spoiler came damaged had to send it back and they didn't replace it only repaired it cause their so tight, the repaired wing cam back with debris that rattles about inside they failed to remove from the previous damage and refuse to do anything about. Overall really disappointed, spent just over £1000 for both parts painted......their on now they look nice but its far from perfect, obviously for viewers that havn't a clue or aren't fussed it looks just fine, but for me spending that money, i'm fuming and still am.

ye might end up saving for a brand new system but i think martelius is discontinued right? i did spend a fair amount on my mugen style parts but their not original mugen. They're from 'typeRkits', quality is good but rear underspoiler has not fit properly and won't fit because the cut or stiffness is incorrect around the top lip where it should meet the bumper, theres a gap as it won't meet no matter what you do. I hate typeRkits for many reasons, the service they gave me was appalling, spoiler came damaged had to send it back and they didn't replace it only repaired it cause their so tight, the repaired wing cam back with debris that rattles about inside they failed to remove from the previous damage and refuse to do anything about. Overall really disappointed, spent just over £1000 for both parts painted......their on now they look nice but its far from perfect, obviously for viewers that havn't a clue or aren't fussed it looks just fine, but for me spending that money, i'm fuming and still am.

Sounds like they were a right pain in the ass, they look great in your photos *** but then we can't really see them close up? How much was your rear wing painted and delivered tto your front door?

Also, if you ever fancy swapping your rear under spoiler for my GP one for a while I'd be happy to oblige! :)

Also, if you ever fancy swapping your rear under spoiler for my GP one for a while I'd be happy to oblige! :)

loool! hmmm thanks for the offer but i think even with the imperfect fitting i can't part with it's looks. I'll have you're front GP splitter for my OEM one though ;) haha

Back