• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing swirls

Rcb

My car has a few swirl marks on, they are only noticeable at night but if possible I'd like to remove them

I don't know a great deal about car washing/detailing. I just wash my car twice a week with megs shampoo, 2 buckets to not inflict swirls and then dry and use a polish. I've claybared it once, but anyway, how can I remove the swirls?

Thanks!

Save yourself a whole load of time and get it done by a pro. Or buy yourself a porter cable polisher and give t a try yourself.

Depends how heavy the swirls are, you may be able to remove some and hide others by hand.

I would claybar the car, to remove all other wax's.
Then try a polish like Meguiars #80 or #83 (never used either personally and these may no work by hand instead of machine polisher) or Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Then try using Megs NXT Wax as this has fillers within it to fill some of the swirls.

Thats just my opinion from information I have gathered from

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

There is loads of info there.

Paul has pretty much covered it tbh.

Super Resin Polish followed by a decent couple of layers of wax will mask most of the swirls.

Alternatively NXT will work nicely followed by some finishing wax.

They're not terrible, the car is a 53 reg afterall and you can only see them at night when light is being shone on it, but to me they stand out lol.

How much is all that likely to set me back then, or how much to get it done by a pro?

They're not terrible, the car is a 53 reg afterall
Age don't necessarily mean a thing as you can drive an 07 off the forecourt and straight through a carwash. :p

I've got myself a PC and have Meg's #80 on order. I hope/anticipate that the combination of this and a medium cutting pad should remove all but the worst swirls (I don't think I have any real bad ones) as Honda paint is pretty thin. Not sure what the paint on your motor will be like, but I'd say #80 is a good way to start. If it doesn't do the trick then try #83.

No-one has mentioned Meg's Scratch X surprisingly. Usually it's the first product that is suggested. That can be applied by hand or PC and is good for masking swirls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trying most the afternoon, Scratch X is officially a waste of money :rolleyes:

A way to get a bit more bite with the microfibre is fold it over a couple of times. It'll even out the pressure a bit more & might make things easier.

I still stand that you can mask most with a decent go with SRP, Sealant & couple of layers of wax.

Removal is best by PC.

Yeah, I have to say that compared to using a PC with a good light cutting polish, Scratch X is very difficult to use and achieve good results.

I had a good session with my new PC and Meguiars #80 last week and it gave a considerable improvement.

i used scratch x and personally would not recommend it to my worst enemy,dont know know if i made a mistake but it was a pain in the arse to get off and i still could'nt get it all off so i was left with white dots all over.i think i've finally managed to get rid of them but had to live with it for about 3 months:mad:

Back