• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Replacing bolster and swapping seats URGENT HELP NEEDED!

TypeGRRR

Administrator
Administrator
I'm hoping to tackle my seats tomorrow, I've looked through previous threads and have found most of the info I need, but still have a few questions.

1. My intention is to swap the drivers seat with the passenger seat, is there anything I need to know, any problems that I'll encounter?

2. As far as I'm aware they are identical, but are the runners identical, will I have to swap the runners too?

3. If no, there is a piece of plastic trim 'door side' of each seat, can they be removed and fitted to the other side, so that both trims do not end up in the middle?

4. I'm obviously going to be removing the seats, I have read that there is an electrical plug that hooks up to the seat, will I need to disconnect the battery (worried I'll mess up my alarm if I do), or can I just pull it out and plug it back in? Obviously I'll have the ignition off.

5. Again, can I assume driver and passenger connections are the same?

Many thanks in advance, I need help A.S.A.P please. :D

Chris

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18445

My old Teg ironically :D

daaan100 said:
Having had my new car a week, it was time to start the few little jobs that need doing to make it totally mint.
The outer bolster on the drivers seat was looking a bit sad, so ordered 2 new ones from Capital Seating for a smidge over £70 delivered. The left one was actually fine, but having done a similiar job on my first DC2, I remember ending up with one new firm side and one old soft side...so 2 at a time it was. Seat was also pretty grubby when I started, but gave it a little scrub with some old Halford's interior cleaner I had in the garage. And it came up sparkling :D Looks even better now than the passenger seat which previously looked mint in comparison.
A few pics of the process.....
Before
18052008067.jpg

DC5-Anewera001.jpg

DC5-Anewera002.jpg

DC5-Anewera003.jpg

DC5-Anewera004.jpg

DC5-Anewera005.jpg

DC5-Anewera006.jpg

DC5-Anewera007.jpg

Got a bit excited :oops: :lol:
DC5-Anewera008.jpg

DC5-Anewera009.jpg

After
DC5-Anewera016.jpg

DC5-Anewera017.jpg

My old Teg ironically :D
I have that link already... printed it off to help me tomorrow, however unfortunately it answers none of my questions... :)

Edit: Well looking again it answers question 2 & 3... :lol: Edit 2 or does it... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
bump... question 4 is the real worry... I don't want an airbag going off. :eek::rolleyes:

Ah, sorry I quickly scanned this thread before heading out last night. You will be fine disconnecting the plug :)

The seats are out... and now I'm thinking... my god, what have I started... :eek::lol:

1. I WILL be swapping the runners, or else the seats belts wouldn't be very effective... ;)

2. Looks as though, I'll be having to swap both seat adjusters too, wasn't expecting that, I could of swore they were on both side sides when I checked... :rolleyes: Looks like a fiddly job... :smt017

I'm hoping to tackle my seats tomorrow, I've looked through previous threads and have found most of the info I need, but still have a few questions.

1. My intention is to swap the drivers seat with the passenger seat, is there anything I need to know, any problems that I'll encounter?

2. As far as I'm aware they are identical, but are the runners identical, will I have to swap the runners too?

3. If no, there is a piece of plastic trim 'door side' of each seat, can they be removed and fitted to the other side, so that both trims do not end up in the middle?

4. I'm obviously going to be removing the seats, I have read that there is an electrical plug that hooks up to the seat, will I need to disconnect the battery (worried I'll mess up my alarm if I do), or can I just pull it out and plug it back in? Obviously I'll have the ignition off.

5. Again, can I assume driver and passenger connections are the same?

Many thanks in advance, I need help A.S.A.P please. :D

Chris

Just to tidy this thread up a little bit and help others, should they find the search tool, I can now answer my own questions.

1. The lower part of the seat is easily interchangeable from side to side, however the back rest, has a winder knob on the outside edge and appears to be pretty nightmareish to change and would not recommend unless you're feeling very adventurous... It appears however if you were happy to have the winder knobs both on the inside of the seat (just above the back of the centre console), this should work and have just enough clearance for seat adjustment.

2.Yes you will have to swap the runners, as the seat belt clip with the wiring is mounted on the drivers seat runner, this is very easy to do anyway.

3. N/A, see 2.

4. It CAN be disconnected with the battery still on, I kept my ignition off just in case, but believe it serves nothing more than to display a light on the dash when the driver hasn't got their seatbelt on. I lock and unlocked my car several times with it disconnected also.

5. The connection is only on the drivers seat.

Lastly I've done a guide for replacing the lower seat bolster here... http://www.type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=58539

Back