• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Reversed polarity when jump starting accord type r

First post here folks so go easy, yesterday with all the high winds i was awoke early with a crashing noise jumped out of bed and seen a couple of slates falling and hitting my pride and joy (2001 accord type r) damage was minimal but considering the car is in excellent condition it's still not good, my main cause for concern however was the large ridge vent that had slid down the roof and was only stopped from doing major damage to the bonnet, roof or windscreen or with my luck all of them by the cast iron gutter where it is still precariously lodged above my car, my problem was amplified by the fact that the car was disabled due to a flat battery and a power steering leak that I was planning on fixing ASAP. I went and got jump leads and a half litre of power steering fluid. I used my new leads my brother got me for Christmas they are not standard crocodile clips but some new ratchet style clips I have never seen before(from Costco).

Jumped the accord fired it up and added what fluid I had but the car needed more. At this point I turned off the car and went to help a neighbor with an emergency roof repair, upon my return I collected a drum of automatic transmission fluid from my brothers garage went back to my accord applied the jump leads and then proceeded to fill up my empty one litre bottle of power steering fluid with automatic transmission fluid, my reason for this was that the smaller bottle had a spout from which i could top up my cars reservoir, there may be another question in this problem in that how imperative is it that i should use only Honda power steering fluid in my accord?, or should I start another thread for this debate?.

Back to the my main cause for concern after I had sorted the fluid I got in the car and tried to start but got nothing no light or anything so I hit the hazard warning light button to check for power and the indicators lit up but didn't flash the lights just stayed on, I also noticed a slight funky smell so got out the car and that's when I noticed what a silly fool I had been, the leads were on the wrong way round, I had put the leads directly onto the battery post's of the accord and from the donor car which was my 2004 Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi I had connected live from battery and took negative from the engine block, I quickly correctly but by this time the leads could have been on the wrong way for 15 minutes. I got back in the car and turned the key and got nothing no lights no windows no clock I got nothing except from hazard lights that were now flashing the way they were supposed to, my brother came round with a multimeter and checked the fuses located under the bonnet near the passenger side bulkhead, all seemed ok,would i need to remove the larger fuses in this fuse box to test them or can I test them in situe?. The accord battery was only putting out 9.1 volts but was completely flat prior to the incident, is there any chance that the battery is now at fault?.

My question is what damage have i done have i fried the ecu or is there some main fuse or relay located elsewhere in the car that would have blown and saved my car from any further damage, and hopefully it was this blowing or the battery being cooked that caused the smell inside the car. I couldn't smell anything untoward in the engine bay but there was severe winds so the smell could have been masked by the winds. The car is still parked where it was because i cant move without it running because its on a driveway with a severe slope and parked next to a wall with the steering on full lock heading into the wall, the ridge vent is still in hanging above the car, as in order to move it I will need to place a ladder where the car is.

So its not good news for my accord i feel like a silly fool beacause Iv'e caused the predicament which I'm now in, mother nature started it but I definitely messed up.I could make a big list of excuses why I allowed it to happen ie. the high winds, heavy rain, a ridge vent above my head, the new style leads with the same colour cable but it isnt helping me.I do no how to jump start a car so please dont lecture me on this unless its constructive criticism.I already feel bad enough bearing in mind my house also has a hole in the roof and a tree has fell onto my fence at the back so please take pity on me.

Any input from anyone will be greatly appreciated.Hopefully before the wind picks up and the ridge vent falls lol.

Replace battery if it's only putting out 9.1v. At worst you might have blown a fuse or 2. Take the battery out the pug and try and start it from that. If nothing happens have a good butchers through your fuses and check the looms for any signs of melting.

I feel for you man, mistakes can happen and they happen to us all.

In all honesty if you could smell a pungent melting plastic smell then something has overloaded and had a meltdown causing a short circuit. Being inside the car and not under the bonnet can only come from behind the dash so it's not going to be easy to investigate without pulling the whole thing apart. If the ecu is easily located then it would be a good idea to pull it out and have a good sniff/smell of it to see if the burning smell is coming from its internals. If it smells ok then you'll have to remove the dash and tediously hunt through the wire looms and determin the problem.

Good luck Barry :)

Thanks for the help folks.

I had a quick look tonight, I disconnected the battery terminals and ran leads directly from the peugeot but still same symptoms as last time(nothin but hazards),I swaped a relay from the panel that's located on drivers side of dash next to the door with a similar one from the fuse box in the bonnet but didnt help, I only got a few minutes to investigate before the roofer turned up, he managed to position his ladder as close as posible to the dislodged ridge vent and reach over and pick it up, so it is safely on the ground,I dont hink i would fancy being a roofer lol. Then I never got another chance to look at car had to move my backside and go and deal with flood's, its all fun and games with the weather lol.

I will do as you advise and investigate further tomorrow hopefully something will turn up, I will keep you informed of my progress.

fingers crossed.

You've probably just burned a large fuse out, get them all checked again. Battery sounds completely dead if it's only giving out 9.1V so get that replaced.

Scotland, South Lanarkshire, Hamilton.

The weather has been bad roofers will be working for months to clear up the wind damaged roofs and the floods are a mixture of badly installed amendment to an existing drainage system that did work but now cant cope at times, its currently got sewage coming up from the road drain and the water is still rising its stiil raining its getting close again to car levels and approching peoples doors, the last few times they have managed to clear drain before any damage was done but the feedback from scottish water is that it most likely wont be attended to untill tomorrow due to all the chaos caused by the weather.

So here's hoping i dont need to sell my broken type r and buy a boat lol.

Was eventfull last night we had to move cars away from the flooding but we ran into another problem with a Honda Jazz ignition barrel,the pins or wafers inside seem to have failed so we had to push with steering lock on, fortunatley they came this morning and cleared blocked so flood risk is over for now. I will hopefully get a chance today to investigate my type r further.

I dont suppose anybody on here is familiar with Honda Jazz ignition barrels lol.

It doesn't rain it pours.

If there battery was completely flat before you even started it was already scrap so just get a new one.

Managed to get a look earlier and found the main 100 amp fuse under the bonnet to be blown, I had checked this fuse earlier but it tested positive for continuity when still located in the fuse box and jump leads were connected. Today was the first day that I have been able to have a look when it's been daylight and not pouring, I able to see the damage to the main fuse, although it was very slight,so here I go making excuses for missing it earlier. Hopefully when I get a new fuse all will be sorted, I think I have probabley frazzled the battery, so will probably need a new battery also, so fingers crossed a fuse and a battery is all thats wrong.

Is there anywhere i can get a new 100 amp battery fuse for my accord that will be cheaper than honda main dealer?

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Honda will have the fuse by tomorrow(sat) so hopfully i will get a chance to collect and fit it asap and see if thats all that needs doing.

Honda are £66 for the same delphi battery thats was in it or autopart's about £60 i'm not sure if they are selling me the delphi one or just one that is equivallent,is it worth paying extra few pounds for the delphi one from Honda?

Hi,

I managed to get the new 100 amp fuse fitted and all looks promising, all function was returned, the only problem was i was trying to run it direct from my peugeot battery through 6 meter leads and the juice wasnt flowing so apart from not getting it fired up because of a flat battery all seems to be ok.When i get a battery in it i will update this thread.

Back