• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RickHondaR's FK8 Type R #4

RickHondaR

R-32840
Well back in July I purchased a FK2 with 200 miles on the clock and to be honest I did not see me doing that as I am not overly keen on the styling but always said if I drove one I would buy one. I obviously planned on keeping this a least a couple of years but due to an ongoing suspension knocking that we can not get to the bottom off https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNWSu7HXLDPyNEbyHO_AXU2UuhYKxQ7M/view

Knocking most of the way but some decent ones around
0.43-0.44

This was on a normal decent road just a bit uneven but smooth listen carefully as once you hear it knock you will hear it all the way though. The car did no more than 13mph so to be fair you should not hear any suspension notice unless I hit pot holes.

In the end I took my wife's advice which was to do whatever it takes to make sure its all sorted for Christmas! End result of this was it had to go! She even thought it would be a good idea to get a NSX and it was her idea until I told here the price :( So in rolled the FK8 Demo that replaced the FK2 Demo that I had purchased 5 months ago which to be fair you could not make it up.

So here is my FK8 with Genuine Honda interior carbon pack and door sill installed, Stu eat your heart out I know you love your carbon but truth be Known even with the approximate 45% discount I got on this thanks to Honda Uk and the hassle with the FK2 I don't think it was worth the money. Please note the painted brake disc that was done for me so no rust and no sure about the R logo so comments please

Attachments

• P1010876.JPG
    P1010876.JPG
    733.7 KB · Views: 73
  • P1010877.JPG
    P1010877.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010878.JPG
    P1010878.JPG
    720.1 KB · Views: 73
  • P1010881.JPG
    P1010881.JPG
    715.4 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010882.JPG
    P1010882.JPG
    855.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010883.JPG
    P1010883.JPG
    676.5 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010884.JPG
    P1010884.JPG
    921.8 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010885.JPG
    P1010885.JPG
    681.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P1010886.JPG
    P1010886.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010887.JPG
    P1010887.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010888.JPG
    P1010888.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010874.JPG
    P1010874.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair still not growing on me but in time it will, however the drive and ride is something else as this is just so smooth even on our roads

Nice little upgrade ;)

‘ Dibs’ on the carbon if you decide you can’t get on with it

Nice little upgrade ;)

‘ Dibs’ on the carbon if you decide you can’t get on with it

I am advised it comes with a resin / adhesive wipes that helps bond the sticky tape to the surface (first time Honda have supplied these for carbon parts) and that the chances are you will break this trying to remove it. With this in mind I suspect it will go with the car but having said that by then Stu you will be on Type R 20 something

The painted hub-part of the disc is nice & subtle....did this on a previous car :smt023

Just need a new avatar pic :smt111

I'm sure the you'll like the looks of it before long...I hated the FN2,FK2 & FK8 when they were first released :whistle

Hand washing the car yourself is a great way to bond with it/appreciate the architecture :smt045

Regards,Mark.

Please note the painted brake disc that was done for me so no rust and no sure about the R logo so comments please
The painted hub looks good and compliments the wheel. :)
I have heard it mentioned that this part can go rusty, but how likely is it to happen and is there anything you can do to minimise the chances of it happening?
Was it a common problem on the FK2?

The small R logo is subtle and does not look out of place. Is it guaranteed not to peel at the edges? This is the only thing that would bother me.

The hub will rust for sure ad events other demo in the showroom was rusting and only way to stop this is heat resistant paint which I had the dealer do the FK2 as well. As for the R logo same supplier I used on the FN2 years ago and the FK2 with no peeling issues and under £5 for a pair, do you want me to sort you the link?

The hub will rust for sure
no peeling issues and under £5 for a pair, do you want me to sort you the link?
Another design flaw then....that's not good news. :( I spend time drying my wheels after washing, something I have never done with any previous car but these black wheels look terrible if just left to dry on their own, plus all the dirt that drips off the Brembos. Hopefully doing this will prolong the onset of rust.

Yes on you go, I might get a set then decide whether to fit them or not. :)

Very nice, it is growing on me a bit more but still not keen on the front of it, looks nicer in the grey though.

Loving the carbon on this one though

Very nice, it is growing on me a bit more but still not keen on the front of it, looks nicer in the grey though.
It does look nice, front is great, back even better....but without a doubt nicest in white. :)
I may be a bit biased there though. :smt082

Last edited by a moderator:

Loving the carbon on this one though

Thanks, to be honest I prefer the shorter bonnet of the FK2 as to me that is what a Civic is as EP3, FN2 , FK2 all the same. Got to admit I have just had a quick look at your thread as last time I looked was around 14 months ago and have to say the road trip you did you looked great. What I think I have noticed is the FK8 stays cleaner easier when the roads are wet than the FK2 for sure.

Nice car (again) Rick :)

Good work getting the hubs painted.
I tend to see the front hubs looking good and lasting longer than the rear hubs on the FK2's, too early to see whats happening with the FK8's

Nice car (again) Rick :)

Good work getting the hubs painted.
I tend to see the front hubs looking good and lasting longer than the rear hubs on the FK2's, too early to see whats happening with the FK8's

They're rusting same as the FK2 as the dealers demo are rusty just like them all to be fair

Here you all go 10G Civic dash cam Thinkware F750 installation from the centre light above the mirror and took around 10 minutes start to finish. I will let the pictures explain the rest
20171222_135510.jpg
P1010889.JPG
P1010890.JPG
P1010891.JPG
P1010892.JPG

Back