• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Right turn=Loss of power!

it crossed my mind, but the light has done it before and iv never had a problem untill now.
will do it this evening!
thank you

had my car booked into garage for service and to investigate problem with engine cutting out while driving.
spoke to the mechanic after investigating he believes there are sensor problems (o2 and crank sensors i belive) but he wants to check the timing chain is not stretched as it could be the cause of some problems he said. with labour and parts and minor other jobs (heater resistor replaced) he quoted me 1000.80 :mad:

does this sound like it could be a cuase or do you feel there trying to mug me off?

Firstly, I would like to know exactly how he is going to measure the timing chain for stretch.

I am not clued up on o2 sensors, but I know my around crank sensors and I'm fairly certain a crank sensor fault would cause you a constant headache, and not just whilst turning right. Afterall, the crank doesn't care if you're reversing, turning, handbrake turning or free falling from an aeroplane... the crank is still turning in the same direction. I guess that roughly the same applies to the o2 sensor, the airflow through your intake/exhaust should not be sufficiently effected by the direction of the vehicles travel to cause your engine to cut out.

ok so if he does come back saying its streched and needs replaceing, i should ask how its obvious to tell.
it started to do it during general driving so that would take into account the fact the crank/O2 dosent care!

im wondering if the combined fact of low oil and O2/crank sensor broken could have been the total cause for my problem?

Again, I'm no k20 expert but if a timing chain stretched on a mini, you increase the tension on the chain. New chain not required.

I know there is a tensioner on the k20 but I do not know whether or not it is adjustable. Perhaps your tensioner is faulty?

Twin cam. The stretch in the chain would offset the timing between the cams. Nothing but a new chain can fix it.

Still doesn't even remotely sound like the cause to the problem though.

Hi - first post , - years ago I had an old SRi which would cut out / stall but only at certain rev ranges (2800-3200 rpm) and this flummoxed me for days (I was working as a mechanic at the time ) transpired that the wiring loom was chafing on the bulkhead and had worn through the insulation earthing out the ecu - further to this I found a weak engine mount had cause the chafing and a bit of insulating tape round the loom sorted it - just a thought - hope this helps.

aparently the chain is stretched and needs new 02/crank sensors and the bill is going to be 1700 aprox!

any thoughts on this?

:lol: everything the mechanic said could be wrong apparently is, which garage did you take it too?

Ask if they are willing to do anything with the price with Honda Care or something? Seems expensive to me.

Could you not get the car to TGM in Fleet?

im going to try and get something off the price when i call back, what is honda care may i ask?

i didnt even know of this TGM in fleet, other wise it would have been an option, i assume there good for honda's

Back