• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rough/Low Idle Speed

Morning all, after some suggestions for low idle speed.

Car starts up fine, idles fine when cold and sits quite happily at 1000rpm. However, once up to operating temperature she sits at about 500rpm, pretty steady speed, no hunting. Car obviously struggling with dim lights and engine shaking like a pig.

It's been like this for a while, but when it's really hot out, like last few days, it's prone to stalling when coming to a stop in traffic. Usually only when on slow approaches, so up to traffic lights or roundabouts in town at 30/40mph. In particular the other day it stalled twice on me and wouldn't hold the idle, had to keep the throttle open until I was driving again. MOT guys mentioned it was bad and stalled it a good few times getting it on and off their ramps.

There's plenty of threads about which describe fast or erratic/hunting idles, mostly blaming vacuum leaks or the IACV. I'm curious whether a low idle could just be dirt in the valve, or if there are other causes? I can't find much that specifically points at low problem.

I'm not so sure it is just the valve, because when engine is cold it's cold outside it is pulling in the extra air to raise the idle speed up to 1k. But I've never dealt with an IACV before, so I'm probably wrong.

I've tried the idle learn, kept at 3k until hot, and she settled back down at about 1k afterwards and didn't move. Ran it for 5 mins then went for a drive, first traffic light pulled to a stop and dropped straight back down to 500rpm.

Thoughts?

Edit: CEL is not on, and does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably your IACV even still, shouldn't be too much of a challenge to pull out and check/clean though?

Probably your IACV even still, shouldn't be too much of a challenge to pull out and check/clean though?

Yeah, there is a guide on here but it is missing pictures. I can probably get it off and take a peak all the same, just curious if there are other potential causes.

Morning all, after some suggestions for low idle speed.

Car starts up fine, idles fine when cold and sits quite happily at 1000rpm. However, once up to operating temperature she sits at about 500rpm, pretty steady speed, no hunting. Car obviously struggling with dim lights and engine shaking like a pig.

It's been like this for a while, but when it's really hot out, like last few days, it's prone to stalling when coming to a stop in traffic. Usually only when on slow approaches, so up to traffic lights or roundabouts in town at 30/40mph. In particular the other day it stalled twice on me and wouldn't hold the idle, had to keep the throttle open until I was driving again. MOT guys mentioned it was bad and stalled it a good few times getting it on and off their ramps.

There's plenty of threads about which describe fast or erratic/hunting idles, mostly blaming vacuum leaks or the IACV. I'm curious whether a low idle could just be dirt in the valve, or if there are other causes? I can't find much that specifically points at low problem.

I'm not so sure it is just the valve, because when engine is cold it's cold outside it is pulling in the extra air to raise the idle speed up to 1k. But I've never dealt with an IACV before, so I'm probably wrong.

I've tried the idle learn, kept at 3k until hot, and she settled back down at about 1k afterwards and didn't move. Ran it for 5 mins then went for a drive, first traffic light pulled to a stop and dropped straight back down to 500rpm.

Thoughts?

Edit: CEL is not on, and does work.

This happened to me before when i took my battery out to clean around the battery tray etc, i put the battery back on within an hour and half and it started hunting at 500 rmp and sounds like its about to stall,so i took it for drive at high rev range for 30 second to 1 minute and it sorted itself
try this see if it sorts it for you

This happened to me before when i took my battery out to clean around the battery tray etc, i put the battery back on within an hour and half and it started hunting at 500 rmp and sounds like its about to stall,so i took it for drive at high rev range for 30 second to 1 minute and it sorted itself

It's been this way for a good while, and it's been driven at high revs plenty since.

I can't remember when exactly it started, I did change the intake from an open cone to an OEM air box. Is the throttle sealed at idle?

Had another thought, did you run the idle learn after removing the battery? If not that would explain why yours did it.

Oh man... The perils of buying 2nd hand cars.

IACV control thing is held on with two wood screws and was loose. Not sure where to line it back up. Oh, and one of the screws holding the valve to the TB is already fvcked.

7c309f7f8a9c6aae46d6a320eb26b8a1.jpg
1da8749b581aedeb130aa98ab863fa65.jpg

Wow... nice.

So, time to get the tapping set out? :)

If it was loose that might kinda explain things.

Looks like you've had a rough day with those gloves.

You should've see the other hand :lol: probably need to use carb cleaner to sort them out.

My tap and die set is unfortunately 160 miles away, the screws seem to bite, and the control thing doesn't need to be on too tight from what I can see, just nipped it up and put it all back together. Running the idle learn now, she's sitting perfectly on 750rpm, which is the first time I've seen that in a long while.

Couldn't actually get the coolant lines off the TB, I didn't want to use too much force in case of damage, one already had a small split. And because of that and a lack of a hacksaw I couldn't get the valve itself off but I sprayed carb cleaner in both sides and got a towel in as far as I could, there was a lot build up.

Nice work either way, here's hoping that's enough (and that you can clean it up properly at some later date)

Had another thought, did you run the idle learn after removing the battery? If not that would explain why yours did it.

I'm not sure why'd that happened after removing the battery over an hour
i just drove it for bit in high rev range and it sorted itself :confused:

I'm not sure why'd that happened after removing the battery over an hour
i just drove it for bit in high rev range and it sorted itself :confused:

It's down in the shop manual to do the idle lear after removing the battery, not sure why, I doubt it stores everything in RAM.

Back