• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RPM dropping when not in gear or clutch is down

Recently, I have noticed that for a split second especially on hills that my idle RPM drops below 900 and then comes back up. It does not fee like it is about to stall, but it just judders a split second and i see the RPM drop to about 700 then it comes back up. I notice this especially when the car is warm. I don't think it is enough for my passengers to notice because I have asked them if they felt it and they all say no, but for me I feel it and I see my revs dropping when I am braking. Is this normal? The car runs fine otherwise. Any ideas?

I have an engine light on but because of my DECAT.... ive got a computer that reads out the codes because of the light in the event I miss a serious problem and I get the codes:

P0422: Main catalyst effinciency below threshold (bank 1)
p0443: Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

Its hardly noticeable... but the revs drop below 900 to 700 very briefly, all in less than a second and then comes back up. But this does not feel normal to me... Also, ive got a 5 inch RPM gauge so i can see the exact RPM. It has only recently started doing this.

Try re-setting the ECU.. (fuse box in the engine ) and remove the fuse corresponding with the 'engine ' picture, pull it out then put it back in 30 seconds later.

I have tried that several times to no avail, removed fuse no. 6 and it still does this. Also, once it felt like it was about to stall then the revs came back up and since then its just dropping to 700rpm and back up again. It only happens when the car is warm and has been running for 15 minutes or so which is really strange.

I had this same problem until I fitted a Gruppe M, when i took the OEM filter out it was absolutely black with crud. However since the change it's not happened at all. I'm not suggesting you get a GM but might be worth checking your air filter if it's not been changed in a while. Also is your car 'jumpy' at low speed/RPM as mine was until changing filters.

Back