• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 RS3 to Type R

So today Bracknell Honda generously leant me an FK8. I am pretty blown away by it and that is coming from an RS3. Its such a great all around package, the gear changes are rewarding, the grip is monumental and interestingly once you are up and running I really don't think performance wise there is that much in it in a straight line. Amazed at how revvy the engine is for a turbo and I love the fact it only has a single mass flywheel (having forked out for expensive replacement DMF's on 2 previous cars). The quality of the interior is ok, the infotainment system is no where near as bad as most of the motoring press would have you believe either.

I felt the ride was better in the Type R than the RS3 and I also experienced something I didn't think possible.... There was a hint of feedback from electric power steering! The car really inspires confidence to push on.

My only criticism is the exhaust noise or lack of. The VTEC engine does make some nice non synthesised noises though and I like the cheeky DV whoosh each time you lift off.

So, basically, I think I'm going to buy one.

So today Bracknell Honda generously leant me an FK8. I am pretty blown away by it and that is coming from an RS3. Its such a great all around package, the gear changes are rewarding, the grip is monumental and interestingly once you are up and running I really don't think performance wise there is that much in it in a straight line. Amazed at how revvy the engine is for a turbo and I love the fact it only has a single mass flywheel (having forked out for expensive replacement DMF's on 2 previous cars). The quality of the interior is ok, the infotainment system is no where near as bad as most of the motoring press would have you believe either.

I felt the ride was better in the Type R than the RS3 and I also experienced something I didn't think possible.... There was a hint of feedback from electric power steering! The car really inspires confidence to push on.

My only criticism is the exhaust noise or lack of. The VTEC engine does make some nice non synthesised noises though and I like the cheeky DV whoosh each time you lift off.

Nice one

Do yourself a favour and buy one from Newbury ;)

Glad you enjoyed the FK8 and interesting to hear not much in it performance wise once off the mark

I am surprised you could hear the DV though as normally you can't until you replace the panel filter with a pipercross or soon to be released k&N.....what reg was the car, was it 67? Just wondered if it was an 18 and they had made a tweak!!

Amusingly the rarest colours globally (since they're only available in one region each): Sonic grey pearl (Europe), Flame red (Japan), Aegean blue metallic (US)

Not sure yet......

I know they are boring but I'm thinking black or polished metal....

Nothing boring about polished metal :D

FWIW I've just made the move from a BMW M240i and whilst I notice the difference in low down torque and power delivery, I love being back in a car that thrives on revving to the top end and feels more like a hot hatch should, rather than a grown up mini GT cruiser like the BMW.

with the standard filter you can hear the DV when sat in the passenger seat, it surprised me as I'd never heard it sat in the drivers seat.

interesting thanks....the OP clearly was driving though. I must be a little more deaf than I thought! Time to get them syringed...

Nothing boring about polished metal :D

FWIW I've just made the move from a BMW M240i and whilst I notice the difference in low down torque and power delivery, I love being back in a car that thrives on revving to the top end and feels more like a hot hatch should, rather than a grown up mini GT cruiser like the BMW.

Lets be honest.... this is the one I borrowed yesterday..... It looks amazing in polished metal..... Interesting about 240i. I used to have an M135 and I agree the Honda just feels like a proper hot hatch, which if truth be known is what I miss. The Audi just feels like a turbo monster thats very serious.

Attachments

• 277cc80a-c1a7-4a3f-9d24-b1d2c7542fd1.jpg
    277cc80a-c1a7-4a3f-9d24-b1d2c7542fd1.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 56
it is gorgeous, wont show the swirls and chips as much as the black one, contrasts with the red detailing better than the rallye red, doesn't look like Optimus Prime like the blue one.

If I had my time again Id most definitely.....get another Championship white :)

Coming from an RS3, which has probably one of the best noises on any car, you're going to be disappointed no matter what you replace it with!

it is gorgeous, wont show the swirls and chips as much as the black one, contrasts with the red detailing better than the rallye red, doesn't look like Optimus Prime like the blue one.

If I had my time again Id most definitely.....get another Championship white :)

Well having owned 2 Fk8's (I must be the only one!) one in rallye red, and Champ White, I think Champ White is the better colour overall.

The ducts/ intakes/ red accents are much more noticeable with the white

The ducts/ intakes/ .... are much more noticeable with the white

This is exactly why I’ve gone for a black one. It hides the plastic addenda better than other colours, IMO. And helps the red highlights stand out.
And, if you’re so inclined, a liberal dollop of PPF removes the stone chip worry.
N.

Agree they are quiet when new. They get noisier as they bed in. I have just crossed 5k miles and I really like the sound now. so much I've decided I don?t need an aftermarket exhaust. I wont rule one out but Honda have got the mixture of motorway comfort and noise when pushing just right IMO. I almost feel like getting a noisy exhaust might ruin it.

This is exactly why I’ve gone for a black one. It hides the plastic addenda better than other colours, IMO. And helps the red highlights stand out.
And, if you’re so inclined, a liberal dollop of PPF removes the stone chip worry.
N.

Agreed the black demo one I had defo hid the 'addenda' and was very stealthy....well as stealthy as you're gonna get on the FK8!!!! I would defo get the PPF though. My 106, Saxo and EP3 were all black and I adored the colour, but worst to keep looking fresh

I have a FK8 on order and should be here on the weekend I hope.

I tried a second hand RS3, 2 year old one. Interesting comparison. I found the straight line performance simply unbelievable and the noise was something else with everything switched on. I think the one I tried had the sports exhaust system, proper noise no question.

I tried numerous other cars. Won't bore you with those but they included a Golf R (new 310 bhp version DSG) and an I30N.

The RS3 felt very heavy in the corners where as when I tried the Type R it did not, like a proper hot hatch back. Maybe in the day when I drove a couple of Mark 1 Golf GTi's they felt the same to a lesser extent of power etc.

The I30N was very good and was very tempting, much more fun than the Golf R and RS3 IMHO.

But the Type R just felt more of an event, with the red bucket seats it gave me a buzz just to sit in the thing and fire it up and a way bigger buzz and smiles and laughter when I got out and that is what I was after. The other other cars are all very good but left me a little cold.

Interestingly after the test drives I remember not looking back at the Golf or the RS3, I did with the I30N but I had a proper look at the Type R, it had that attraction to me.

I would like it a bit nosier maybe but then again the looks shout out enough and the VTEC engine is certainly a peach.

Will be very happy bunny when the new family toy arrives.

I get in my car each morning and go through the pre flight checks (Parking brake off, Brake Hold on, R+ or Comfort mode selected).

My 20 mile drive is down some great country roads and is always brilliant fun. Whether cruising or in full attack mode, its equally rewarding.

I arrive at work, park up and often give the car a pat on the dash to say thanks. And I almost always look back at it as I walk into into the office. Can't ask more from a car than that.

Back