• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rubbing/whirring noise when clutch re-engaging, EP3

Only noticed this over the last few days, when I partially release the clutch when doing things like backing out of the garage or turning a slow corner out the drive, there's a noise which I can only assume comes from the clutch.

It only does this when there's some throttle input.

Clutch is still pretty light and the bite point is still quite far from either end of the stroke and it still seems to engage well.

Ideas?

From your description it sounds like the clutch release bearing, though difficult to tell without hearing it. Do you know when the clutch was last changed and was it a full kit including the bearing?

Clutch was changed just before I got it, around 2 years ago. Not sure if that included the release bearing though.

However, things have taken a disturbing step sideways :(

I was driving home from Brighton today, got to the roundabout leading onto the A23 and the car started vibrating, then a sound that can only be called a death-rattle started coming from the front. Depressed the clutch and mounted the island, turned the car off and set the hazards going. Nothing obvious, no leaking fluids, etc. Wife mentioned the tail end was still poking out a bit into traffic so I took a risk, turned the car back on... and it just worked :|

Drove it around the roundabout to the petrol station where I could park up properly; checked oil, still clear, hasn't shat itself; temps were fine; plugged in the diag unit, no issues. :confused:

Decided to drive it to Honda at Gatwick and leave it with them. Got a fair way there (driving like I was driving Miss Daisy) and the vibration kicked in again (can feel it in the seats, through the wheel and in the pedals, definitely coming from the front), then the rattle. Pulled onto the shoulder, turned it off, left hazards running. Not the safest place to be, and it was raining so visibility for others wasn't the best.

Fired it up again... still working, no noise or vibration any more, maybe a little more noise from the engine but not a huge difference. Proceeded to Gatwick.

Dropped it off with them, we'll see where this leads. Undoubtedly more to follow.

This is seriously Schrödinger's car right now. The only way to know if it's alive or dead is to open it up.

Can't say I've heard that one before!

I hope they find the cause becuase I'm intrigued as well as wanting you to have it back to enjoy too.

Can't say I've heard that one before!

I hope they find the cause becuase I'm intrigued as well as wanting you to have it back to enjoy too.

Yeah, not a minor vibration either, it's significant, and the clattering sounds like something's being thrown around violently in some rotational assembly. Could be a spring's worked its way loose from the clutch plate and is upsetting the balance of the flywheel/pressure-plate, could be a bearing's gone in something that's normally held together under alignment. It's a wait-and-see game now. They haven't managed to replicate or find it yet and I suspect it's gonna cost a bit to track down. Either that or I just pay them to pull the head, sump and box off and eyeball everything.

I assume when it starts nothing seems to make it go away without stopping and switching off?

Starter motor? Could be intermittently trying to engage with the flywheel, switching it off/on could be resetting the solenoid somehow. Wild guess!

I'll be really upset if it was a really bad exhaust kettling issue and it just panicked me.

Honda couldn't find anything other than a slight blow from the rusty joint between cat and b-pipe (knew it would eventually be a problem and have a plan for how to deal with it).

So now I get to worry about taking any long drives or any noises I hear, however short-lived.

Starter motor? Could be intermittently trying to engage with the flywheel, switching it off/on could be resetting the solenoid somehow. Wild guess!

I think that would be horrific, not quite the same noise, more a rattling than a graunching of gear teeth.

I assume when it starts nothing seems to make it go away without stopping and switching off?

On the two occasions it's occurred, no. I didn't exactly leave it running for long though when it did occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the vibration is turns out is exhaust-related, I hit a puddle yesterday in the rain and it started up almost immediately. That would also explain the new exhaust blow.

Still haven't worked out the clattering sound, nor the initial sound this post was about though, but it's good to know the vibration's an issue I can tackle, and I'll be doing that soon.

Which leads me to questions so I can get to work on this.

What's the outside diameter of the pipe (the one that connects to the exhaust b-pipe) on the EP3 catalytic converter? I don't have a pair of calipers so it's a little ugly for me to work out. Anyone?

So, the vibration is turns out is exhaust-related, I hit a puddle yesterday in the rain and it started up almost immediately. That would also explain the new exhaust blow.

Still haven't worked out the clattering sound, nor the initial sound this post was about though, but it's good to know the vibration's an issue I can tackle, and I'll be doing that soon.

Which leads me to questions so I can get to work on this.

What's the outside diameter of the pipe (the one that connects to the exhaust b-pipe) on the EP3 catalytic converter? I don't have a pair of calipers so it's a little ugly for me to work out. Anyone?

60.5mm

I was about to say it will be the exhaust and the rain. Being a truck mechanic and aware of the problem, I still thought fcuk me when it happened the first time! I didn't expect it to be that bad, and I've heard a fair few death rattles in my time!

Oddly, I haven't had it with my 3 inch exhaust, but the 2.5 unsilenced I had before did it a few times.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Back