• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Running in a new car

Hi guys

I've read a few things about the first 1,000 miles in a new FK2, specifically that the ECU will restricit the full power of the engine for the first 1K (ish) miles to protect it.

Mine arrives in about a week and its my first new car, so do you need to take it easy? or let the ECU sort it out?

Cheers

Charlie

Just drive it normally. Modern engines are built to such high tolerances that they don't necessarily require 'running in' unless stated by the manufacture.

All they told me was keep a close eye on the oil. They also said the ecu doesn't fully unlock untill around the 1K mark.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dip for oil on every fill and drive it on. If you begin to get abnormal oil consumption or noises then go back to the dealer.

Tootle or spank it are the two main methods of running an engine in. I never liked the idea of spanking it but some say that's the best way. I'd tootle, personally. I'd do probably 500 miles granny style and then slowly start upping the throttle and revs for another 500.

Maybe even consider doing one of those oil analysis things? You take a p1sspot's worth of dirty oil from the sump and send it away for analysis. It's not mega expensive. You do that every service and by the contaminants in the oil it'll tell you the health of the engine and when things like rubber seals, gaskets, fuel, metal from bearings/cylinders/rings etc get in your oil. Popular service with the GTR crowd.

Lol when it comes down to it its a honda engine. Can't see there been any problems!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tootle or spank it are the two main methods of running an engine in.

Neither are really the correct way. It doesn't need to be beaten the shît out of. But needs to be put under load (3/4 throttle accelerating example) to help bed in the rings. Driving it too carefully can do more damage long term to driving it hard.
Tuners run their fresh built engines on the rolling road where they can clock up the miles under load within an hour. Drop the oil and then it's ready for hard running.

The tolerances are that small and the engineering so precise the engines are run in by the time the cars roll onto the transporter.

The ECU supposedly runs a safety calibration until 1k miles so I've read on a few places.

The only reason to take it easy at the start is to bed in the clutch, brakes and suspension. After a couple of hundred miles, it will be good to go.

When I had my EP3's I drove them fairly quickly for about 600 miles after which I showed them no mercy. :twisted:

Back