• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Running rich or lean

Hi all

I'm not sure if my ep3 is running rich or lean or something else, but when driving slow/normal a lot of the time when going onto the gas it seems to cough and splutter a tiny bit, like it needs to clear its throat, only for a split second you can hear the exhaust note struggle. If I floor it it seems fine. I'm running a custom b pipe to a buddyclub spec 4 back box and injen cai, had the exhaust on since Christmas but filter only a month, this problem has just started the last week. Could it be getting too much air and not enough fuel? It has not been mapped.

Any help welcome people

Running a free(er) flowing induction and exhaust will make the engine run leaner. Though I think that with your level of mods it shouldn't be making a significant difference, it should only become a problem after manifold and cat changes. There is a few threads documenting similar problems with EP3s and FN2s after exhaust changes, have a read of them.

Cheers for the reply mate, part of me is thinking I should of kept it standard and the other part of me is thinking CPL re flash. Modding a k20 on a budget is hard.

Well I guess now my question is will it be alright running how it is or should save more money and gt it mapped or remove the mods and run it standard. I don't want to cause any damage by running lean

If I were you, I'd replace each component with it's oem counterpart one at a time (assuming you still have them), and see which is causing the problem. I'd start with putting the airbox back on, then run it for a week to see what happens. Try all your options before getting drastic and remapping, because it's expensive and you rally only want to do it once if you're n a budget.

Sounds like a plan, cheers. Can't put the standard exhaust back on as one of the flanges was cut of and used for the one I have now, could try the standard airbox though. With regards to the remap I was looking at the cpl re flash as I'm only ever going to have exhaust and filter, anyone know if its worth doing in my case.

If you can find another owner nearby you may be able to beg the use of thier b-pipe for a day. There's a few tuner garages around too that might be willing to help out if you throw a 20 in the biscuit jar!

If it was me I'd check the following:
Spark plugs to decide if engine is running properly. White too lean, white/brownish normal, black rich.
Then fuel filter
Map (manifold absolute pressure)
Exhaust connections for any air leaks (vacuums)
Petrol quality
In that order.

So this morning I removed all four spark plugs and this is what they looked like, I'm no expert so anyone feel free to say if you they look ok, they have only been in the car for about 2 months

83f3fdc6c21c41c6ef9cb947379e39d5_zps5e1186f0.jpg

They are fine. Its more than likely your intake that is causing it. It will be running ok fuelling wise but you will just have to put up with it until its mapped correctly to the mods. The "Reflash" is the generic Hondata "Tuned" map and designed to just get you started so you can get the car tuned properly. It will "Feel" better but the difference between that and a properly tuned car will be night and day.

They are fine. Its more than likely your intake that is causing it. It will be running ok fuelling wise but you will just have to put up with it until its mapped correctly to the mods. The "Reflash" is the generic Hondata "Tuned" map and designed to just get you started so you can get the car tuned properly. It will "Feel" better but the difference between that and a properly tuned car will be night and day.

Thanks for that, looks like I will have to get my head down and start saving to get it mapped then. When I have enough cash I will give you guys at tdi a call

I know this is an old thread bump but I'm thinking of going down the Cpl basic k100 map route to start with question @ tdi north are you able to live map the Cpl jobby as you are much closer to me?

I would come to you for the whole lot but funds don't allow it right now but the Cpl k100 suits me for now as I only have induction mods but would like the lower vtec/higher rev limit.

Will definitely be coming to yours for a proper live map session mind you and frsu at some point.

Yes TDi will be able to remap the cpl job. It's just a k100 like any other that comes with the generic map on it.

Back