• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Running then cuts out

As some may be aware from my newbie I recently bought this EP3 with a snapped timming chain.

Today I put it all together new headgasket chain and tentioner all from Honda!

The car starts and sounds spot on but it only runs for 10 seconds or so then cuts out the Engine management light is on and I am getting hold of a reader tomorrow but looking for suggestions from the forum so I can go in heavy handed with ideas to resolve this tomorrow.

I was thinking it was earth related to begin with but cant see any loost connections or unbolted loom plus I earthed the engine and made no diference. It did run for a wee while once but it was reving high above 2k

Turned the engine by hand many times timing marks always lined back up unplugged injectors and turned over a while to circulate oil around the engine prior to starting

SRS Light is also on.

Heres a couple videos to what it is doing.

Check all fueses and relays, check for dodgy coils and plugs. other than that id say it was sensor related, could be a number of things, IACV, cam sensor, crank sensor, thorrtle position, knock sensor and 02 sensors. If none of this helps maybe its something simple. Have you done anything to the immobiliser? Hope you get it sorted

Please god tell me you fixed this?! My car is doing the exact same thing

As some may be aware from my newbie I recently bought this EP3 with a snapped timming chain.

Today I put it all together new headgasket chain and tentioner all from Honda!

The car starts and sounds spot on but it only runs for 10 seconds or so then cuts out the Engine management light is on and I am getting hold of a reader tomorrow but looking for suggestions from the forum so I can go in heavy handed with ideas to resolve this tomorrow.

I was thinking it was earth related to begin with but cant see any loost connections or unbolted loom plus I earthed the engine and made no diference. It did run for a wee while once but it was reving high above 2k

Turned the engine by hand many times timing marks always lined back up unplugged injectors and turned over a while to circulate oil around the engine prior to starting

SRS Light is also on.

Heres a couple videos to what it is doing.

Marcus,

With the help of Dave (original poster) I've managed to fix this. Daves problem was that his crank sensor was not seated correctly, the sensor must be perfectly flush with the casing. My issue was the previous owner replaced the sensor with a cheap after market part.. About 10 mins ago Honda delivered a genuine sensor to me for the ball breaking price of £100.. The car now runs perfect.

Back