• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

rust bubble under seal on boot need help

Hi have a rust bubble under seal on boot was wondering if anyone could help me with removing it as I'm already going to order a touch up kit to get rid of stone chips so could sort this out to thanks haz.

Looks like that needs cutting away and refinishing. Problem is that it right against your window seal.

Bodyshop job that. It's not something you'll be able to tackle yourself.

Looks like that needs cutting away and refinishing. Problem is that it right against your window seal.

Bodyshop job that. It's not something you'll be able to tackle yourself.
Will I need a new seal or will the one that's on be ok? Quarter of the seal is sunk waters getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suspect it's either had a window replacement or the tailgate has been damaged and repaired previously.
Window out, repair tailgate, repaint and new window seal.
Probably cheaper and easier to find a good second hand tailgate in the same colour.

Isn't it easier if I just get the body guy to sort it as loxy mentioned and just install a new seal.

A second hand tailgate with glass go for around £100. A bodyshop/garage will probably charge around 1-2 hours to swap over so total around £200ish.
Go to some bodyshops and get a quote for repair. But I'd guess it'll cost more in repairing.

A second hand tailgate with glass go for around £100. A bodyshop/garage will probably charge around 1-2 hours to swap over so total around £200ish.
Go to some bodyshops and get a quote for repair. But I'd guess it'll cost more in repairing.
Can you send me a tailgate and glass link if possible.

I think the repair option is better for me I would try to get a decent quote somewhere.

Spoke to the dealer just earlier and he had a word with technician he said more than likely its only the seal needing to replace problem is they charge silly labour prices. So I'm just going to make my way into a scrap yard and take another seal of a car which will cost me 2 quid :) rather than paying 38 quid for a seal at dealers.

A new seal won't fix the rust that's already taken hold in the tailgate.

If not repaired properly that is going to keep coming back/spread further, if it was me i would go with replacing the tailgate as others have suggested.

A new seal won't fix the rust that's already taken hold in the tailgate.

If not repaired properly that is going to keep coming back/spread further, if it was me i would go with replacing the tailgate as others have suggested.
Link for tail gate please so I know what I'm after exactly thanks

The tail gate has not been damaged. The body shop guy said that I can get rid of bit of the rust with polish and he will cut the paint away and finish it as loxy has mentioned probably just stick to that.

Back