• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rusted out Mani heat shield

Hi All,

I have had a bit of a rattling going on from the engine bay for a little while now and popped the car up on the ramp to find that the lower part of the manifold heat shield has completed rusted out. I went about undoing the top 2 bolts and removed the heat shield completely.

My question is - do i need to bother with a replacement one of should i just leave it off as its basically access weight?

Thanks as always

It will be fine without it. A lot of people remove it when fitting an aftermarket manifold.

Actually, while on the subject. Can I go ahead and remove the other heat shields that run along the underside of the car?

Most of mine have been removed now, I think the manifold shield is all that's left. That's got to be my one big peeve about these cars; annoying mystery rattles.

If you're worried about heat then you can always wrap the exhaust, every bit as good as a heatshield, and because SO racecar.

Back