• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

S2000 & NSX s2000 Oil Change

I am going to change the oil on my newly aquired S2K and wanted to know what the best oil to use would be and how much oil I will need?

It has 90K on the clock and is going to be used purely for road use so a little VTEC here and there but mainly sensible driving!

All help appreciated!

Thanks

:cool:

I am going to change the oil on my newly aquired S2K and wanted to know what the best oil to use would be and how much oil I will need?

It has 90K on the clock and is going to be used purely for road use so a little VTEC here and there but mainly sensible driving!

All help appreciated!

Thanks

:cool:

I use Shell Helix Ultra. I think it's a 10w 40 (fully synthetic). Pretty sure the manual recommends 10w30 but the local shell garage don't stock it :)

Looking through my service receipts, Honda use 10w 40 (never the same type twice for some reason :confused:)

Thanks for the reply!!

Ive got 0 - 40 Castrol and 0 - 35 Carlube oil from the Evo I had prior to this, would this be ok or would it be a bit too thin!?

Thanks

I'm no expert but isn't the first value (the 0 in your case) to do with the cold start viscosity and the second value (35 or 40). Isn't that the range of temperatures it'll work in.

0 - 35 and 0 - 40 should work well at low temps (Not really an issue in the UK) right through to normal temps .

I bought a 5 litre bottle of Castrol when I bought my first EVO and gave it away with the car when I sold it 3 years later. It hadn't used a drop between services :cool: (unlike the S2000!)

p.s. All of the above may be utter tosh but it's what i've always thought to be the case :)

0w-40 is a bit too thin for the engine, get some 5w40 or 10w40

The Helix Ultra is a semi-syn oil (AFIK) as this is what the muppets put in my car on its last service trying to tell me fully synthetic shouldnt be used, which I wasnt at all impressed about! Its probably different oil each time Des because its whatever they have contracted as a deal with suppliers at the time...which isnt exactly reassuring! Semi Syn should only be used up until the second service though.

Recommendation from S2ki are:

Standard Oils:
Castrol Edge TD 5w40 advanced synthetic motor oil
Motul 8100X 5w40

Upgrade Oils:
Silkolene Pro S 5w40 Ester Synthetic for High Performance Engines
Amsoil Synthetic Engine Oil (ALF) 5w40 European Formula

see this link for all of the above:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/products-for-my-vehicle.aspx?product=car-engine-oils#results

Also something else to consider is when the Diff oil was last changed, for the sakes of less than a tenner it's worth changing this as well making sure you get a Hypoid 90 differential oil.

1 litre of Silkolene BOA 90 LS will do the job with this. Again available on the link above.

If you're still unsure though give Opie Oils a call as they are very helpful and Oilman on here/Oilmansi on S2ki has given reams and reams of advice on oils if you do a search on either site.

I have only just ordered and recieved 5L of Silkolene Pro S, plus a 1L top up and the BOA 90 Diff oil for £60 through them as they have a discounted special offer on the engine oil at the moment. It was also delivered by courier the next day too!

I hope that helps,

Back