• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Scratches, lines on roof and stone chip

My roof, has lines and a couple scratches all over the place. When sunny you can't see a thing. It's just in normal light, there are loads. Some are very noticable, some barely noticable and some are hardly there and really need straining to see. Also a chip that is brown, so a stone chip turned mm of rust.

Will a decent polish sort out all of the little lines and maybe the scratches?

The pain chip that's got a mm of rust, will this spread also?

Still need to order my car care goodies and get in to taking care of it, exams are really in the way at the moment and i'm also the laziest man alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you run your finger nail over the scratch and you can feel it then polish wont help. As for the rust, once it gets in then yes over time it will start to spread.

Hi mate thanks for the reply. I've got another thread like this up and no1 has replied to either!

Worried about the rust spots, but not sure how to deal with them. Do you think it's worth just taking it somewhere to get sorted?

I Bought one of the paint kits for my Milano, the paint has a little applicator like a hyperdermic needle that you can dot in all the stone chips. If you have rust showing through on your paintwork then the existing paint will need stripping back and repairing. Painting on top of rust is a big no no. Everyone will disagree but try some t-cut on the lighter scratches, I have removed swirling and fine lines with t-cut with no adverse effects.

Cheers for the reply mate. Below shows the things I mean. Little ones can just scrape away inside and then paint with the kit I suppose. One of them looks to have a mini bubble and spread though, which will probably look a bollock if i've got to remove the paint. One of them is under the arch so not visible which is lucky. Hopefully the arch bit is just superificial and not chronic. Lesson learned, always fill in stone chips immedietley! Anyone happen to know satin silver ep3 paint code?

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

Bought the 'kit' from halfrauds. I'll post up the results after i'd had a go for others to see the colour / some shabby work lol. Probably be mid week.

Give it a go mate, test your skills first on the inner arches as they are more subtle to spot. Get some rust remover liquid from halfords too, it doesn't remove the rust but it stops the rust from repeating so some rough sand paper or a dremel with a stone head is needed prior to applying the liquid :)

The kit(s) from halfords are crap. I found the colour match is usually way off. You're better off using the paint from the honda touch up pen which is a far closer match usually.

First thing to do is to clean out as must rust as you can with something like a nylon brush/old toothbrush, then apply a rust removing primer such as Hammerite Kurust (comes in a pen) which you can get it from halfords. Leave it to eat away the remaining rust for a few days then you're ready to paint.

I personally prefer to put a tiny bit of filler in the stone chip at this point with toothpicks before I paint it but it is quite difficult to get right. You will need to sand it bit with fine wet and dry though.

Back