• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Screeching clutch - advice please!

Hi guys,

I recently bought myself a 2 yr old fn2 type r only 3 weeks ago now. The drive is amazing and it looks even better.

Unfortunately however from around day 2, normally when the engine is cold, there is a loud screeching noise when I engage the clutch in first gear. This combined with the noise of the engine warming up (which is loud enough anyway!) is a bit embarrasing, especially when pulling away in a busy car park.

Anyway after hunting forums I have found that this is fairly common, although I am not sure to what extent or what people have done about it. It would be great to hear from people who are in the same situation and what you have done about it.

I'm taking it into Honda under warranty on Saturday and am curious to see what they say, but if you have any advice at all it would be great to hear from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
hello Chris welcome to TRO, what you are describing sounds like clutch squeal. on a part worn clutch debris and clutch dust can build up and trap between the clutch plates causing squeal, like someone blowing a fog horn but for 1/2 to 1 second in duration. it may be worth using a air line, there is a gap where the clutch fork is, into the clutch bell housing. blowing compressed air may dislodge some and you need someone to depress the clutch pedal so the clutch plates are open.

i had clutch squeal some time ago and looked for a fix, by the time i could be bothered to do it, it had faded and disappeared.

what did honda say anyways?

Thanks for your reply-good to hear that it might not be too serious.

A few threads got me concerned as apparently some people had to change their clutch and flywheel (sometimes not under warranty for around £1k!).

It's at Honda at the moment and expecting a call this week from them. As soon as I find out what it is I'll let you know.

If the car is only 2 years old the clutch should be sound, unless the owner before you dragged the clutch whilst flooring it everywhere but it's very unlikely. i shouldn't worry too much mate, even if it all goes t*ts up it will all be covered under warranty as you've only just got it. be tough with them, don't let there sales man fob you off with BS as they tried to swingle myself before.

best of luck with it :)

Just got off the phone from Honda in Ascot and just told me that they are fitting a new clutch and flywheel. No arguing or anything just said that it was already being fitted and that it was under warranty. They couldn't tell me why though (apparently the he will speak to the technician).

I'll have to post the details of the fault when I get them in case anyone else gets the same issue.

Cool, mine does this and I never bothered with it. Now I know you got a new clutch and flywheel, I'll be down my Honda garage making some noise!
Then thats something else to go on my never ending list of FN2 faults...

My advice is get it down there as soon as you can.

They explained the issue to me and is caused by the flywheel itself which in turn damages the clutch. Apparently they are testing why this happens but Honda say their tests are inconclusive (probably not spending time on it now the type r is being discontinued).

Looks like this problem might start up again though if all they are doing is refitting the same parts!

I wonder if the drive will be better with a new clutch and flywheel...?

My advice is get it down there as soon as you can.

They explained the issue to me and is caused by the flywheel itself which in turn damages the clutch. Apparently they are testing why this happens but Honda say their tests are inconclusive (probably not spending time on it now the type r is being discontinued).

Looks like this problem might start up again though if all they are doing is refitting the same parts!

I wonder if the drive will be better with a new clutch and flywheel...?

good to hear it's being repaired under warranty :)

Back