• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

screeching whining noise most evident in 3rd gear at low revs

Just been told by mechanic not to worry that the whining is the lsd of the dc5 gear box. Since the gear ratio is different to standard type r box, would I expect to see a quicker 0 to 60 time?

My LSD doesn't whine......

And the difference in gear ratio's is minimal as far as I know

do you think its my gearbox then? Mechanic said you will find shavings in oil but wouldnt worry about it Should I change oil then? Could this stop the whining?

its only going to cost about £20 to change the oil yourself.

get the oil changed and if the problem persists the box will have to be stripped to see what the fault is.

do you think its my gearbox then? Mechanic said you will find shavings in oil but wouldnt worry about it Should I change oil then? Could this stop the whining?

:freak:

Think about it, thats bit of your gears/synchro's coming off and getting churned around. It's really not ideal. Change the oil ASAP, it may or may not stop the whining but it will get rid of the FOD in your gearbox which is a big plus

Fit a magnetic drain bolt while you are taking the oil out. Cheap and this will keep any further bits of metal in your oil away from your gears.

Back