• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Seatbelt not retracting on fn2

Hi All

My drivers side seatbelt doesn't retract unless I 'feed' it back in, more annoying than an actual fault. Could anyone suggest a fix? I'm assuming there would be a spring that could be replaced or a new seatbelt mechanism.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't want to mess about DIYing a repair to a seatbelt reel. Imagine you fixed the retractions mechanism then the inertia lock failed...

Just get a new one IMHO.

Sometimes things can be improved a bit by giving the belt a proper clean and dry, and using a cloth and some cleaning product to clean to top loop the belt feeds through. That can cause sufficient drag to make it feed improperly.

Loxy's right otherwise though, don't try fixing the mechanism itself, the joys of pretensioners and other bits and pieces make it not only risky but sometimes downright dangerous as well :(

Thanks for the advice. I'll try giving it a clean and see if it improves, other than that I'll probably live with it.

It's dirt on the seatbelt. There's a good video on YouTube explaining how to clean it. You have to leave your seatbelt soaking in a solution. Once it's clean it'll retract as new.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Pull it all the way out and give it a good clean with soapy water. Leave it fully extended to dry out properly.

I have heard of spraying it with polish too.

Thanks for all the advice, the seatbelt was filthy! I've cleaned it twice and it's retracting on it's own now, it's still a little slow but the belt felt sticky so probably needs a further wash. Dread to think what was on it!

Back