• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Selecting first gear

Hi all, bit of an issue with my CTR, when it is cold, i can't get it into first or second gear while stationary, what I do to get around that is to put it into third-second-first then when i'm driving it's perfectly fine. Once the is warm it will go into first and second while stationary perfectly fine - only when it's cold i'm having this issue.

I'm thinking maybe clutch worst case but i'm hoping that there is an easier/minor fix to that.

Thanks

Probably the shifter cables have stretched. Mine did this also, I'd put it into 3rd on the driveway before I started it up... this seemed to align the gears/cables and it'd then go into 1st/2nd no problem. New cables are quite pricey IIRC, might be worth checking to see if you have solid or OEM shifter bushes. If solid, it is more likely that your cables have stretched. If OEM, maybe try solid shifter bushes and this might help for a period of time until the stretch gets worse...

Thanks for the reply, so it's not a clutch then - are the shifter cables something that I can myself on the drive?

I just spoke to a couple people, one of them works at a honda tuning company and they said it could be the gearbox...

Yea, it could be. But from what you have descrbed, it is shifter calbes. When you put it in gear is there any left to right 'play' in the gearstick?

hi yes i just tried it and when it does get into gear, there is slight left to right play which i thought was normal. Originally i said it was only in first and second, from a cold start it did struggle to get into third and fourth and when i got it into reverse, it was abit stuck coming out. I've made a video of the whole thing - if you like, pm me your email address and i'll send a video across so you have a better ide of what i mean. thanks

Ahhh ok, this might just be a worn clutch then. Do you know when it was last replaced? I am hesitent to say yes to this because a warm engine would have little to no effect on clutch operation. Do you get any kind of whining coming from the gearbox at specific RPMs?

I would not discount the cables, extremely worn cables could cause this issue also. Mine was difficult to select 1st, 2nd and reverse when stone cold, clutch was fine. The left and right play when in gear, there should be a small amount but if it is excessive this is indicative of worn shifter cables.

hi, i have no idea when the clutch was last replaced - there is no whining or anything from the box, originally i too thought it was clutch. How do i upload a video on here?

thanks

No idea dude, I've never uploaded one. Also didn't want one sending to my personal email, no offence :)

Can you upload to youtube and post a link?

Yea, left to right play looks fairly excessive to me, I'd say cables are likely your issue.

Not sure, probably a bit of a faff as you're going through the bulkhead and that's rarely a cakewalk. I've disconnected each end to fit solid shifter bushes, that wasn't hard... pulling a new set though however, I've never done before.

Unlikely to be cables. Generally they don't stretch as they're not under any real stress and they're not your usual cable make up (comparing to a throttle cable, far bigger and robust). The fact it selects fine apart from when it's cold, temperature change isn't going to make selector cables not stretched...
The movement you're getting is normally a worn ball and socket on the gear shifter. A fairly common problem but shouldn't give you an issue selecting gears.
Gearbox oil should be changed frequently. You'll be surprised the difference it can make if it hasn't been done for a long time.
Where's the biting point on the clutch? If it's close to the floor, it could be dragging slightly. The dragging may not be noticeable, but the smallest amount can cause gear selection issues when standstill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lewis thanks for the reply, I think the biting point may be towards the top, saying that, when i last drove it and parked it up, i did get a slight whiff of clutch smell - so it may just be the clutch.

Back