• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Self Wheel Refurb - Advice & Progress Thread

As I have 2 sets of OE Teg alloys and tyres (currently wearing the summer championship white ones) I have decided to refurb the gun metal set that came with my car.

I am going to do the process myself, both the prep and finish. Basically this thread will be a diary of my progress, and also a thread to ask advice, as I am a little unsure about the whole process, and what materials to use.

The wheels;

DSC01395.jpg

They are not in too bad a condition, but with 7 years of wear, there are a few chips and marks, plus the embedded grime on the inside of the wheel. No serious kerbing of deep scratches.

So I started the process of on 1 wheel to begin with, to see how much effort the whole prep process was going to take.

Wheel 1;

DSC01397.jpg

I currently have 3 grades of wet and dry sand paper; 320, 600 and 800 grit. If anyone has experience of refurbing/bodyshop - Are the grades suitable for the work I am going to do??

I started out with the 320. In some areas of the spokes, its remarkable how thin the paint coating is, very sparce from the factory. The chips and marks soon disappeared with some work, and the prep work started to take shape, before I finished for the evening.

DSC01398.jpg

For those in the know - How much of the paint do you need to take off?? I presume as long as its a good smooth surface, then a good key is all thats needed, and not all of the paint to be sanded back?? I dont want to make more work for myself than is necesarry.

The inside of the wheel was particularly bad, with slight surface corrosion and 7 years of tar and road filth. Luckily, it all started to come up good with a little effort.

DSC01401.jpg

Again, how much work is recommended for the inside of the wheel. You can see on the back of the spokes where I have not done any work yet, how clean does the wheel need to be to get a good lasting finish??

Tomorrow I am having the tyres taken off, and valves removed, so i can really start the hard work.

As of yet I am unsure what colour I am going to spray the wheels. The 2 options I have are OE gunmetal, or a gloss black with. I was considering satin black, but I want a finish that will last and continually look good, and I am unsure if satin black will give this.

Further advice I need is what primer do I need to get hold of to give a really good key for the top coat paint?? Do I need an etch primer, or can I use an everyday metal primer as available at most motorfactors??
Again, with the paint. Can you use regular car paint, or do I need something more hard wearing?? Same again for the lacquer??

All help in this thread appreciated ;)

To get a good lasting finish you need to get all the grim off, it needs to be spotless and free of all contimants, washing up luquid and water will go good at getting most greasy crap off and should give you a suface good enough to paint, although it would be even better to wash it down with some alcohol, also note once down to the metal you'll beed to etch prime before you can use a filler primer which you can then sand with some fine (1200 is probably best) wet and dry. Tip - When sanding with w&d put a bit of washing up liquid in the water. :wink:

Cheers for the advice. Just spoke to my friendly local bodyshop. If I do all the prep work, and get the wheels ready - They will prime, spray and lacquer all 4 wheels for £60, in what ever colour I want. So they will more than likely be staying the OE gun metal colour
icon_cool.gif

Cheers for the advice. Just spoke to my friendly local bodyshop. If I do all the prep work, and get the wheels ready - They will prime, spray and lacquer all 4 wheels for £60, in what ever colour I want. So they will more than likely be staying the OE gun metal colour
icon_cool.gif

Do them in Dayglo Green like the Chelsea away strip. :eek: :lol:

*UPDATE*

I have finsished 1 wheel to what I consider enough for the next stage (primer etc...). From looking at the pics, does the wheel look prepped enough both on the face and inside?? Also on the 'shoulder' where the tyre covers, how clean does it need to be as I presume this area will not be sprayed??

DSC01404.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

Does it look like I have done too much, or maybe too little sanding??

And does anyone have any easy ideas of how to clean out the rust in the stud holes?

Cheers.

Use a dremel with a light abrasive head for the stud holes fella. :cool:

As for the rest of your questions, I am clueless. :lol:

Back