• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Service history paranoia

First post on here lads be nice :)
ive just got myself an 09 fn2 very happy with car a few squeaks from rear suspension but ** go see honda during week got 12 months warranty.whats bothering me is the service history, the car is from honda dealer, the first service was done at 8k miles in august 2010. Then theres a space in service book no details filled in and on next page the service is at 24k miles in april 2012 and last service this year feb at 32k miles cars on 33k now, im concerned that the car may not have had an oil change for 16.5k miles over a 20 months period!!! Now it could have had an oil change maybe or a service but not filled in book but dont know why theres a space in book? By the way the 8k and 24k services were done at arnold clark garage maybe a honda dealer i dont know, would this case permanent damage to car or is there anyway you can find out previous history besides the service book?

If the 8k and 24k were done at the same dealer, you can ring and ask. It could be the previous owner didn't take the service book in for the second service and didn't go back to get it stamped. I've forgotten the book in the past, but always gone back.

However the dates do make me think the previous owner pretty much forgot and then got it serviced when they remembered. I mean why service it in April when previously it was August?

That being said, it probably won't have done any damage on a relatively new engine. It's definitely not advisable, but in the long run there are worse things that you can do.

It could be the owner thought, 25k is valve clearances time and got it serviced again while it was there rather than waiting until August. Still doesn't explain the missing stamp though. I'd be more worried as to whether Arnold Clark actually did the valve clearances at 25k (i.e. the 24k service or not).

Check your V5, it has the previous owner's name and address. 192 them for their number or failing that write them a letter if it's causing you to lose sleep. ;)

Thanks for quick reply loxy ** do that! And i did look at service history before buying car but failed to notice the milage i just looked at the service stamps, i guess because i got it from a dealer i trusted them. By the way according to the service book there hasnt been valve clearances done, just seems odd an owner would buy a new car and service it after 8k and the forget till 24k that being said if it was same owner it was serviced at same garage i guess, but what is recommended oil change schedule? 12.5k?

Ok so 4k miles over on a new engine doesnt seem too bad i guess, the first service probably is a dirty oil change running in etc and a sludge free new engine is probably ok, i mean 12.5k is probably recommended even on high milage engines so on a new should be ok, and going by the milage the owner did 200 miles a week so longer trips better for engine/oil

You got nothing to worry about TBH mate. Yeah the change would have been nice and tidy for the paperwork, and although these engines are all about the oil - if yours is performing perfectly fine you've got nothing to worry about. It won't just conk out and die on you. Just maintain it lovingly as I'm sure you'll do and it'll be fine. These Honda units, whilst oil dependant, are good for a hell of a lot of abuse. A missed oil change ain't great, but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Back