• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Shell V-Power or alternatives

Hello All.

My first post. Had a 2005 Civic Type R since July. Love it.

Just one question. The previous owner said I must use Shell V-Power religiously.
But I wonder if the alternatives are just as good. e.g. BP Ultimate?
Or any other suggestions? Is there anything that makes V-Power especially stand out?

I am getting a little tired of the trek out of the way to fill up and also the drivers club they offer doesn't amount to much. Less than 1% cash back if you calculate isn't gonna keep my custom!

Thanks for reading.

ATB
Jackson

Any uk petrol will be fine on a standard ECU.

If he'd had it mapped to 99 RON V-power then it'd run lean on regular 95.

Unless mapped use Standard Unleaded.

Arguably you could still get your car remapped on standard unleaded too.

I had mine mapped it was sainsburys super unleaded in it at the time does that mean i need to allways use that? i usually use vpower but they didn't have any before the map didn't think it matterd.

They did tests on different 97 and 99 fuel. Tesco's momentum 99 came out top over BP and Shell.

But as stated above 95 will suit

Well I mapped mine to 97 Ron and I use anything, never had any problem.

Pinking isn't a major issue on the K20, could cause fatal problems on a highly strung Turbo car though.

Personally I'd stick to the fuel it's been optimised for to stay on the safe side.

Wonder what power a mapped car on 95 Ron would make.

Well when I had my mini, I built my engine from scratch and tuned it myself before driving it to the rolling road.... I came up with a method of finding pinking, which was the hill directly opposite victoria park, 20mph in 4th gear, foot to the floor up the hill. Lean out until it pinks and then add a bit more fuel back in.... Obviously you can't do this with a type R without the knowhow, but I applied the same method of testing for pinking after I mapped with 97 ron, but using 95 RON morrisons gak. It wouldn't pink.

Beard, I knew that when I did it, but I wasn't prepared to go 99 and then only be able to use premium petrols, so I took a gamble on 97 RON at the expense of a pony or two and it paid off - IMO.

The thing is I've spent a fair bit of money modding my car. Some mods have cost a few hundred notes and only added a couple of extra ponies.

Put simply, I'd be damned if I was going to lose a few on octane choice. Personal preference though. :)

It's in the region of 3-4 bhp on a mapped car. You can't run the same cam angles on the lower octane fuel.

3-4 hp

So nothing.
Really. :D

I you can feel/notice that, I'd eat my hat :)
Not that I wear one!

The thing is I've spent a fair bit of money modding my car. Some mods have cost a few hundred notes and only added a couple of extra ponies.

Put simply, I'd be damned if I was going to lose a few on octane choice. Personal preference though. :)

3-4 hp

So nothing.
Really. :D

I you can feel/notice that, I'd eat my hat :)
Not that I wear one!

It all adds up in the end.

Back