• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Shell V-Power to replace Optimax.

HASNIC said:
SpaceMonkey said:
HASNIC said:
Just signed up for the normal plus points :D

Just had my card through & been using Optimax ONLY for past 5 years :roll:

LMAO, i best be patient then :lol: :lol:

No...sorry Nickolarse....I meant not long applied, so lost out on 5 years worth of points...what a lesbian I am

SpaceMonkey said:
HASNIC said:
SpaceMonkey said:
HASNIC said:
Just signed up for the normal plus points :D

Just had my card through & been using Optimax ONLY for past 5 years :roll:

LMAO, i best be patient then :lol: :lol:

No...sorry Nickolarse....I meant not long applied, so lost out on 5 years worth of points...what a lesbian I am

Ah i see, yeah if i could catch up on the optimax i've bought in the past few years, then i think Shell might just run a pipeline into the garden so i can fill up direct :lol:

IIRC I purchased Optimax for well over a year before I received my Optimax card.

Theres a thread on the MLR about the V-Power coming to the UK. I haven't readl all 5 pages of this, but from what I've found out, its definately coming :wink:

The EVO is gonna love this stuff 8)

Taken from the thread running on SNet at the moment

Had some Shell Engineers at our factory last week and asked them about the new V power. They said they have been flushing the tanks out for serveral weeks now at petrol stations, ready for the launch

They also mentioned it would be 102 ron

As with everything take it with a pinch of salt. I do believe an improved fuel is coming but whether it will have a RON rating that high I don't know. If it does then all the better :twisted:

CTR said:

Had some Shell Engineers at our factory last week and asked them about the new V power. They said they have been flushing the tanks out for serveral weeks now at petrol stations, ready for the launch

As with everything take it with a pinch of salt. I do believe an improved fuel is coming but whether it will have a RON rating that high I don't know. If it does then all the better :twisted:

I doubt it'll be higher than 100ron.... :?

Neily03 said:
CTR said:

Me neither mate TBH. At 102 RON it will be same rating as one of the Shell Racing fuels you can have (the other being 103 RON IIRC for WRC cars, I believe the 102 RON stuff is for N/A rally cars) at there's no way Shell would be able to charge the same as they do now. Isn't the BP 102 RON stuff something like £2.30 per litre??

CTR said:
Neily03 said:
CTR said:

Me neither mate TBH. At 102 RON it will be same rating as one of the Shell Racing fuels you can have (the other being 103 RON IIRC for WRC cars, I believe the 102 RON stuff is for N/A rally cars) at there's no way Shell would be able to charge the same as they do now. Isn't the BP 102 RON stuff something like £2.30 per litre??

Yeah, iirc that stuff is made in small batches by hand so they'll have some bearing on the price....

It would mate sence for it to be 100 ron, as little - no develpoment costs are needed due to the product mix already tried and tested in Germany.

I think them loosing so much business to Tesco for the sake of 1 ron has made them realise how fickle the uk market is.

SiKBoY said:
I think them loosing so much business to Tesco for the sake of 1 ron has made them realise how fickle the uk market is.

Spot on.....and sadly I'm one of them too :oops: :lol:

For the life of me I cannot see why people use Tesco 99RON over Optimax. Tesco stuff is full of bioethanol to make the RON grade whereas Optimax has been developed from the ground up as a 'performance fuel', and it can't be a bad thing that Ferrari were involved in the development of it can it?

I wouldn't use Tesco 99RON if I was paid to do so, but each to their own.

Here is a quote from one of the threads on SNet regarding a test done using different petrol types.

Optimax still comes out top as the best fuel available, as per a dyno test carried out by Field motorsport using a Cosworth YB engine running a set of eight green injectors and a T4 roller-bearing turbo. They compared four different brands of fuel and tried to advance the timing to 13 degrees on each different brand and measure what bhp was produced.

1/ 95 ron supermarket fuel. This being cheapest of the bunch and although not the sort of of petrol you'd normally expect to run your performance engine on, it gave a good benchmark to work from. So when running the engine up on the dyno, a 13 degree advance couldn't be acheived. So ignition had to be backed off to 10.75 degrees before a power run could be safely recorded.
The results at 10.75 degree advance a peak power figure of 516 bhp and 417 lb ft was recorded.

2/ Tesco 99 ron managed 0.75 degree advance over the 13 degree initial setting before detonation occured, so at 13.75 degree advance 523 bhp and 423 lb ft was produced.

3/ BP ultimate showed an improvement over Tesco 99 ron as once again a 13 degree was dialled in and a further increase of 2 degrees was possible before detonation occured. So at 15 degrees of advance timing 537bhp and 434 lb ft was produced.

4/ Shell opitmax 98 ron, as you well know this fuel was produced with boffins at Ferrari. So unlike Tesco 99 ron fuel which is produced by blending low grade fuel with additives. Shell optimax is produced by a specific mix that realises its higher octane rating through hydrocarbonate components blended into the fuel. This increasing its combustability and in return helps fuel economy and lowers emissions and especially carbon monoxide. On the dyno after once again dialling in a advance of 13 degrees a further 3 degrees was produced before detonation occured. So at 16 degree advance a power figure of 547 bhp and 442 lb ft was produced and expect this figure to increase when using the new improved fuel with a increased hydrocarbonate formula.

So don't all jump ship over to Tescos 99 Ron, because as the results show Shell optimax is still the best fuel available on the market.

OK so the test car used was a Turdo'd lump but I'd still want Optimax in a high compression N/A engine that is happiest when being revved :wink:

Also, hasn't Optimax been shown to be on AVERAGE 98.6RON from a survey that was taken of ten different Shell sites around the country??

Unfortunately the information pack so far hasn't turned up :( . But as soon as it does I will bring it home and post details from it. :)

All the information I currently have still suggest it will be 99ron, this was from somebody at Shell Head office, I did say why didn't they go for 100ron, he replied he doesn't know but it would of made more sense to go to 100ron.

I agree with CTR. I used to run on 99 RON all the time in my Civic and once I filled up to he brim with Optimax. The car just felt so much better and picked up far easier over the whole rev range.

Using Tesco's 99 RON in the Teg at the moment as my nearest shell is about 10 miles away :roll: :(

The information packs have now arrived and it says,

V-Power is designed to provide higher levels of performance and responsiveness.
V-Power is 99 RON
Uses Friction Modification Technology - the same used by Ferrari F1
Increased levels of detergents for even cleaner engines.

It is not a simply name change, V-Power has been developed to provide higher levels of performance and enhancements in responsiveness to give drivers a better driving experience. Shell works closely with Ferrari F1 to create better fuels for the road.

Over the next few weeks, V-Power key-rings will be delivered to site to give to every customer buying V-Power.

Sites should received a promo pack with posters etc, for site staff to install. Contractors will visit sites over the next 4 weeks to install bigger adverts like banners and pole sign inserts.

DPM9876 said:
The information packs have now arrived and it says,

V-Power is designed to provide higher levels of performance and responsiveness.
V-Power is 99 RON
Uses Friction Modification Technology - the same used by Ferrari F1
Increased levels of detergents for even cleaner engines.

It is not a simply name change, V-Power has been developed to provide higher levels of performance and enhancements in responsiveness to give drivers a better driving experience. Shell works closely with Ferrari F1 to create better fuels for the road.

Over the next few weeks, V-Power key-rings will be delivered to site to give to every customer buying V-Power.

Sites should received a promo pack with posters etc, for site staff to install. Contractors will visit sites over the next 4 weeks to install bigger adverts like banners and pole sign inserts.

Happy days :smt041

Back