• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

should HID's change colour?

had a funny week of so with my HID's, and now it appears the drivers side one has changed colour from a blue tint to just plain white. the passenger one is still the bluey colour
drivers side one
6e25c395.jpg

passenger
fef187bf.jpg

any ideas why this has happened? they were both 100% the same colour up until yesterday.
when first turned on the drivers one starts off as a tint of blue like the passenger one, but then changes to just white.

thanks for any help

This was the ballasts when it happened to me.

Try swapping the left and right and see if the fault follows the ballast.

i am no good at this type of thing, so will try and give it a go.
if the fault does follow, what will be the next course of action? can you buy just new ballasts?

It depends where you bought them, but generally yes.

they were already on the car when i bought it, so i don't have a clue i am afraid.
i will have a look at the weekend see if i can work out how to change the ballasts etc. any tips/guidance?

swapping the ballasts is easy enough, they just plug in where your OEM headlight bulb would have gone, then go to the HID bulb.
all you have to do to swap them is unplug them from the HID bulb and the old standard bulb connection.

i'm not an expert with this sort of thing really, but i think thats the same kit i've got on mine, mine are 8000k

i think mine are 8000k too as the give off a blue light rather than a white one.
i took the bulb out the passenger side and i could only see "H1" written on it and not the colour temperature of it.

another question, will any ballast (35w) effectively be able to "plug and play" with the wires i have now?

say i can't locate the same ballast as i have now and they need replacing, can i just use any 35w similar ballast and plug the wires in and it should all be fine?

i guess it should be fine, but the link you just showed me is for a set so you may as well change them both at the same time IMO

that's the plan - if i do need to replace the ballast, and any similar ballast will do, then i will just try and source a pair of ballast's and change both. if i can't use any other ballast and it has to be from the same kit etc then i will buy a new kit and change it all over.

i think you'll be fine getting these, i bought this kit when one of my old ballasts failed which was a kit fitted by a previous owner but definitely not the same ones as i have now, and i had no problems whatsoever

i changed the bulbs over as well but there was no need to really, still have them in the box, keeping them as spares,

Back