• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Silicone intake hose

Is it of much benefit to replace the oem intake hose with a silicone one? I know they do look better just trying to weigh up the improvements

Assuming your hose clamps are also replaced with some good quality stainless then the main benefit is it won't corrode/break down compared to the rubber.

EDIT: dammit, misread that as cooling hoses :/

No, it's just looks really. The rubber will eventually harden/crack/whatever, but air is relatively forgiving on the intake hose :)

I haven't looked inside the rubber hose but I was thinking if it is smooth inside. Looks like it would be ribbed & maybe slow the air flow?

If you get a new airbox, then worry about the hose :) I suspect you won't see any difference (the inside of the standard airbox is ribbed, there's the Hondata aiorbox mod for that before you worry about hoses), first you'll probably want to look at a different airbox/filtration (Gruppe M, Tegiwa, CAI, etc.)

I have a mugen air box already. That's where I was coming from. Sorry I didn't mention that before. The box is smooth inside, that's where the idea came from.

The standard K20 intake hose can crack on the inside of the bend, it's hard to spot but will be at risk of sucking in unfiltered air. Silicone hoses are good but they can be a pain if you have an RBC. Absolute best option would be to have a steel replacement made but it wouldn't be cheap.

Oh I see. I imagine that would require custom pipe work then. Just looking to maximise what I have. Then maybe exhaust and finally flash pro and a map.

The silicones will work, they just don't fit the best so you have to be careful.

Ok thanks I think I'll replace the hose with a silicone one. Just have to choose the colour now

Back