• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Simon's Nighthawk EP3

So I've mainly been into German cars, for the most part VAG. I'd had my Jetta for coming up 2 years and I fancied a change....something more fun yet less expensive than some previous cars I've owned. I've always fancied something with VTEC ever since I was 15 and went out in my friends older brother's JDM DC2.

I'd have loved a DC2, however they're getting on a bit and with a 45 mile a day commute, a more modern EP3 seemed a better compromise for my motorway journey.

So after selling my VW Jetta I went on the hunt for a Civic. I'd been looking out for a standard Milano Red in all honesty but after struggling to find a nice example within 80 mile radius :( this tidy NHB example came up locally with several goodies for a price which seemed too good to pass on :D

A Brief Spec is:

• Mugen Airbox
  • Full Toyosports manifold/centre section/backbox (N1 spoon style)
  • Team Heko Wind deflectors
  • Skunk 2 Racing Gearknob
  • Neo chrome tuner wheel nuts
  • Up front two new Yokohama tyres and rear two Bridgestones Potenzas RE050a
  • Tinted rear windows
  • Drilled and grooved discs all round with ebc red stuff pads
  • 3 of the brake calipers recently replaced
  • Tinted rear windows
  • FSH including a recent genuine cam chain and tensioner

So without further ado some pictures:

The old!

And more importantly the new:

and one now my plate is on the car....

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, does look tidy. :smt023

The Jetta looks good too. Was it on bags or just low?! :lol:

Jetta looks really nice!

Is the EP3 mapped? If not you'll be wanting to get that done asap with a de cat manifold fitted.

Very nice, does look tidy. :smt023

The Jetta looks good too. Was it on bags or just low?! :lol:

Thank you :D

Yes the Jetta was on Airlift Performance struts, Accuair management with a Zaetech Digigauge. It really was a lovely bit of kit and had a very nice install too. Originally it was on some FK coilovers which I had machined down for extra lows :rolleyes:

Also cheers for sorting out the two sets of footwell lights :smt023

Jetta looks really nice!

Is the EP3 mapped? If not you'll be wanting to get that done asap with a de cat manifold fitted.

Cheers, regarding mapping it's not as far as I can tell nor was told by previous owner. In all fairness it still drives nicely and pulls well with vtec giving a nice kick when it engages.

Have you had yours mapped?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have an EP3, however its common knowledge here that you need mapping once the cat is removed.

Nice example you've got there. They are a fun car to drive so I'm sure you will be pleased :)

On a side note, how do you find the Red Stuff pads?

So shortly after picking the car up I headed down to my local Honda dealer along with ordering some parts online.

First off fitted a Pioneer double din head unit along with a replacement upper centre console trim as the old one had some scratches. Two dash light bulbs had blown so bought some replacements from Honda for the heated window switch and hazard switch. I also cleaned everything before putting it back together. Including treating the shiny steering wheel with some Zaino leather cleaner to restore it to a more factory appearance.

Fitted some genuine replacement brake and clutch pedal covers along with a white footwell lighting kit courtesy of Loxy. Note the cable tie...I still need to fit the bonnet pull from Honda, just not had time.

Fitted some chrome indicator bulbs to clean up the rear end

Bought some of this to fit into the window seals in an attempt to reduce the front window rattle

The seats were also looking a bit worn (pretty common on all alcantara seats) so I set about using a bobble off to remove all the loose fibres and make them look somewhat fresher.

Before:

After:

On the same day I also fitted a new front Honda grill badge as the old one was stone chipped and a bit tatty, along with a Type R front grill badge as that was missing altogether. Swapped the interior boot light back to a standard bulb from some god awful electric blue abomination a previous owner had fitted. A new alcantara gear gaitor as the existing one had faded.

I dont have an EP3, however its common knowledge here that you need mapping once the cat is removed.

Oh right well thanks for the advice. I may look to get a Hondata unit and have it mapped in the future.

Nice example you've got there. They are a fun car to drive so I'm sure you will be pleased :)

On a side note, how do you find the Red Stuff pads?

Thanks I've had it just over a month now and loving every day thus far. I was a bit nervous I'd regret selling the Jetta but I really don't :D

With regards to the pads I find them pretty good in relation to feel and performance wise, there's not too much brake dust either!

Like what you've done already Simon, seeing how lovely the Jetta turned out I can't wait to see the progress with your EP3! Do you have a part number for the bulbs? I need to replace the bulb behind the heated rear window switch behind the centre console myself.

Like what you've done already Simon, seeing how lovely the Jetta turned out I can't wait to see the progress with your EP3! Do you have a part number for the bulbs? I need to replace the bulb behind the heated rear window switch behind the centre console myself.

Thanks mate :smt023 I don't plan to spend quite as much on this one haha. Trying to save for a house see! :rolleyes:

RE the part number I think it's the top one but as I bought both bulbs at the same time I'm not 100% sure, so here have both.

H3580S6AJ01 N/STK BULB COMP. £1.45 + VAT
H79609S5A003 N/STK BULB NEO WEDGE £1.05 +VAT

Few Updates as follows:
- Powerflex Polybush top gearbox mount - really tightened up the gear change
- Got a second key cut from Honda
- Second Key fob and coded it up with the help of a youtube video (thoroughly cleaned with disinfectant wipes before use)
:smt024
- Cleaned and polished the rear plate bulb holders to let through a bit more light
- The bonnet has always looked a bit dull so have machine polished that using some 3m products today
- Retrofitted an illuminated cigarette lighter (how it should be from factory in my opinion)

Some pictures, I apologise for the poor iPhone quality.....

Back