• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Slider rebuild kits-WARNING

After completely rebuilding my front brakes last week I did not expect to be getting sticky/rubbing noises and vibrations from them less than 5days later.
After my first spirited drive I got the above symptoms. As soon as I got home I did a spin test and found both fronts restricting!! I immediately took the caliper off to inspect it and as soon as I did both slider pistons literally shot out of their dust covers! I attempted to reseat them and vent the air 5 times to no avail.
As the calipers were hot it seemed the air being trapped beneath the slider pins was expanding causing a very strong piston action, causing the pad closest to the front of the alloy to rub/stick on the disc. The dust seal was far too tight allowing no air to escape, luckily I kept my old ones so inspected them for any differences, assuming there should be a channel to allow heated expanding air to escape
6173564b0ba74bca976ff5ba11198864.jpg

567be1e06e4640ac6537b7a9a6a0a47a.jpg

As you can see the originals have 3 channels in them to allow this to happen however the new ones do not!
Be aware if the new slider covers do not have these channels you may experience the same issue!

These slider boots came from a eBay company called CARFACTORSUK do not buy them from this company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post! Just rebuilt mine but not fitted them to the car yet, i'll notch them before they go on.

My heart just pounded then but I got them off brakesint as well so I'm hopeing all is good who did you get yours off?

These slider boots came from a eBay company called CARFACTORSUK do not buy them from this company.

CARFACTORSUK is who NOT to use, they will be the cheapest but there is a reason for that it turns out.

i need pins and boots for the front carriers on mine as two are sticking , do you have a link to the good kits to use thank you

I can't seem to find any kits in the Uk , basically want to refurbish both front carriers

You probably don't need pins unless they are bent, scored or really worn. Just new slider boots and some decent brake/silicone grease. As above brakes int seem to be ok from eBay give them a go pal.

yea two pins are worn, not worth re-using, bottom pins on both front carriers. can't seem to find them anywhere

If by worn you mean they have a flat spot either side that's how they are meant to be mate. I replaced my rears due to that and the replacements had the same flat spots.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261587557733
There's a link for the bellows the guys above in this post say work fine. Can't give personal recommendations as haven't used them myself. Usually sliders just need cleaning, regreasing and the bellows/dust covers replacing.

the look slightly bent to be honest as the bolt was hard to line up. and very worn looking, as they were solid i think it best to replace them. Found a place called lings whats there service like as i could do with them asap :D

Fair enough mate. If you
Mean lings honda then it's a honda dealer/supplier but never used them I'm afraid

Ok mate thanks for helping , going to contact local tomorrow first if not then lines honda it is.

My heart just pounded then but I got them off brakesint as well so I'm hopeing all is good  who did you get yours off?

i got my rebuild kit off brakeskint and i just put them together ready to put them on tomorrow and was scrolling looking for prefered discs and pads came across this thread and decided to check my boots and they don't have grooves ffs need to buy more boots so i wouldn't be buying from them again might be an idea to just to give them a quick check imo

I've just ordered front boots off them as it was mentioned theres was ok. Honda don't do they on there own. Managed to order new sliders and bolts for £29 from my local dealer so thats one bit sorted. will have to check my boots when they come

Ive also emailed Brakesint to see if they have some with and some without grooves, and I've copied a link to this thread to show them if needed

Heres the boots i orderd http://www.ebay.com/itm/261587557733

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately the fronts we supply don't have the three grooves in only the rears have this and our supplier doesn't manufacture a front slider rubber boot with these grooves in, sorry.

Kind regards

Josh

this was there reply . My front ones have three small cut outs but one is ruined so I need at least one new boot. Gonna have to try them as the cars off the road , unless I can Dremel small channels in the new boots

Japserviceparts do the kit with the grooves in, came across them yesterday. Hope this helps in the future.

Thats good to no. i used a little dremel and made 3 small grooves in he ones from brakesint, have 3 spare as i managed to keep 3 originals. amazing the difference its made in braking.

As long as there is a channel for the air to escape so it doesn't act like a pressurised piston it should all be good.

Back