• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Slight tapping sound at idle

Had the car only 3 months and have already had to change the clutch, a lower arm ball joint and a track rod end so im hoping this isnt an expensive problem

The slight tapping sound can be heard at idle and only happens when the engine is fully warmed up (does not do it when cold), ive had the bonnet open and had a listen to see if it was the valve clearance issue but cant here anything, i can only here the noise from inside the car?

It only started to happen after i had an oil change done, upgraded from 5W-30 to 5W-40 oil, probably wont have anything to do with the problem but seems strange that the car was fine before hand

Any ideas?

I was going to say valve clearances since it only does it when it warms up. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing when you changed the oil you did the filter. Nothing has moved around the firewall that could be fouling on the filter is there?

yes the filter was changed at the same time, i'll see if i can have a closer look around the firewall area, cheers

so does the valve clearances make the noise when warm, i thought they were noisy when cold aswell if they needed adjusting?

It depends if and how the clearances are out I suppose as to when they are noisy. You are supposed to have them adjusted when cold to the correct tolerances, so the engine warming up must have an effect on the clearance as things expand.

Before my cam shaft changes, the tappets were noisy when cold and quiet when warm, the other way round. :lol:

Just been having a look through the service history and it dose'nt look like they have ever been done, they were checked once but not adjusted, the car has done 52,000 miles with full honda service history

So if i got on the phone to them is there any chance they would do them free of charge as they should have been done twice already :mad:

It's virtually as much work to check them as it is to adjust them, unless they've just listened and ticked them as checked in which case that's a bit naughty.

Service at 25k and 50k is more expensive as it includes time for the clearances adjustment. The money has been taken for it, it should have been done.

Well it was serviced at 51,000 just before i bought it

So it looks as tough they just havnt bothered because they havnt even ticked any box on the paperwork for that service, strange

Was it a main dealer or independent garage?

Was it serviced at the same place you bought it from?

it was done at springfield honda newcastle, its had all of them done there according to the service book, i bought it from somewhere else mate

Fair enough, about an hour's drive from you then?

I'd ring them on Monday and ask to speak to the service manager. It might be the previous owner told them not to do the clearances, for whatever reason, cheap service as they were trading it in etc. They should have a job card for it though.

If the last owner paid for the full service, tell them it isn't ticked on the service schedule and ask what can they do about it? The only problem I can see is that you didn't pay for the service, so really they could tell you it is between them and the previous owner.

Been on the phone to them and its like you said, the previous owner just paid for the cheepest service possible knowing he was getting rid of it

i was quoted 80 odd quid for the job to get done, is that an ok price, is this a job any local independant can do?

£80 seems pretty reasonable. It'll be an hours labour.

Any garage will be able to check the clearances. It just depends if you trust them with it.

Personally I'd only take it to a place that knows Type Rs inside out.

yeah, thinking about it id rather pay the 80 quid for a main dealer job than take the risk of not getting it done properly somewhere else for the sake of saving about 20 quid

Back