• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Snapped screw

:(

Was playing around with the GM to stop it from teh occasional rattling noise and when i came to screw it back on, one of the screws that holds the GM down- if fact, the only screw that holds the GM down, snapped off while it was half in :eek:

Now i cant get it out as its been snapped off so any ideas/ suggestions on how i go about getting the snapped end out before i can replace it?

The GM is currently still on and i've managed to stick down the bracket with lots and lots of tape.

Help and advise will be greatly appreciated as usual

Gary

there is no bit of the screw sticking out from the top, but there is about 5mm sticking out from the bottom but access to that is very limited :(

I take it the screw is in some sort of bracket? If so i'd just drill it out and replace it with a nut and bolt.

there is no bit of the screw sticking out from the top, but there is about 5mm sticking out from the bottom but access to that is very limited :(

Can you get a set of long nose pliers in underneath to get it screwed back to get enough to grab to the the pliers once back on top?

(Did that make sense?)

reminds me of the joys of loosing my locking nut key and not having the code :rolleyes:

Can you get a set of long nose pliers in underneath to get it screwed back to get enough to grab to the the pliers once back on top?

(Did that make sense?)

There isnt that much spare to work with even with the GM out but i will give this a try when i get a chance :rolleyes:

I did try to hammer it out from the top so knowing my luck, i've probs killed the thread :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

for a bit more info- its the screw that holds the bracket to the engine bay- "brace 0323" according to the instructions (see Chris's GM sticky thread)

(Did that make sense?)

Just tried this this morning and didnt work :(

I managed to get some of the screw from the bottom and managed to "unscrew" it but there isnt enough to grip from the top once all the expose bit of the screw is done from the bottom

(does that make sense? lol)

Drill it out?

I'm going to pop into Honda at lunch time and see if they have any ideas- but i guess drilling it out may be my only option.

Just tried this this morning and didnt work :(

I managed to get some of the screw from the bottom and managed to "unscrew" it but there isnt enough to grip from the top once all the expose bit of the screw is done from the bottom

(does that make sense? lol)

Rather than trying to unscrew it can't you just screw it all the way through?

i've tried that as well Neily but that didnt work too

it would just stop dead and just wont go any further :confused:

Been to honda but they were too busy :rolleyes:

but they said the same thing in that they will try and drill it out so i might give it a shot over the weekend if i have time and if my drill is strong enough for that sort of thing (my drill is crap :oops:)

Been to honda but they were too busy :rolleyes:

but they said the same thing in that they will try and drill it out so i might give it a shot over the weekend if i have time and if my drill is strong enough for that sort of thing (my drill is crap :oops:)

Just take it slowly and work up in bit sizes.

You haven't had a lot of luck with screws sheering off have you Gary!?!

I would also say drill it out. If you're feeling really adventurous, you could drill a small hole down the centre of the screw, then use a tap and die and create a thread on the inside of your screw. You can then slap a nut and bolt down the middle to twist it out.

That's if you're feeling adventurous of course.

Post Script: Don't know if they do a tap and die that small...

took it to honda this morning and they got it out in 5mins :lol:

They kindly replaced the screw, but its somewhat different to what was originally on but still does the job as its solid now :cool:

Dont think i'll touch it now unless i'm cleaning the filter in the GM- which incidentally- when do you do this??

Dont think i'll touch it now unless i'm cleaning the filter in the GM- which incidentally- when do you do this??

Just undo the 2 jubilee clips either side of the chamber & just have a look @ it mate.
Doesn't take 2 mins even for a DIY leper like you (And me) ;)

Back