• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Snetterton Trackday

Snetterton Trackday
Just got back from my first full trackday.

I was in the FN2, and my mate was in his E36 M3.
We booked via a local company 'Heritage trackdays' and it was well run.

Got to track, signed on and had the drivers briefing. Then waited for our novice session.
The sessions were split into 3 groups each lasting 20mins.
Unfortunately due to issues (someone driving into a barrier, and spector collapsing in the pits) our first 2 sessions were only 10mins long.

Then the heavens opened and the track was soaked. I was quite apprehensive going out in the wet, but luckily I had someone tuition.
The instructor was excellent, and really helped my get the best out of the car in conditions safely.

Then the weather cleared and the track started to dry out, and it was time for another session with the instructor. Again very good and I could feel myself improving throughout the session.

I was really getting to enjoy the FN2. The brakes didn't let me down as I thought they would. Also with the wet conditions the Traction and Stability Control really helped. It stopped me getting myself in to positions I couldn't control on a few occasions. I did turn it off for a few laps, and could push the car a little harder controlling the under steer myself. But overall I felt happier with it turned on.

Then after the lunch break the format changed and it went to open pit lane.
I was really apprehensive at this point after seeing some of the other cars on track. New R8, Astons, Radicals etc. But the track remained quite clear and due to the layout of Snetterton most people were happy to leave all the overtaking to the 2 main straights.

Then the day was nearly over, so i went for one last session. I kept good pace with an EK9, before pushing a little too hard on the exit from Coram I lifted off too early, the back end went light and I was off the track and went grass cutting:rolleyes:
I mangaged to get the car slowed down, and back on the tarmac without any damage.

Overall I had a great day. I was annoyed that it rained at the time, but looking back it was good to experinece the car in the wet.

Here a few pics I managed to take between rests.

P1000329.jpg

Didn't go out on track unfortuantely:rolleyes:

P1000332.jpg

P1000334.jpg

DBS:twisted:

P1000344.jpg

P1000368.jpg

P1000396.jpg

P1000403.jpg

P1000408.jpg

My mates M3

P1000419.jpg

P1000421.jpg

We booked via trackdays.co.uk and although the booking process was ok at the time of booking it wasn't clear who was running the trackday. Next time I would just book direct with Heritage Trackdays.

Also I don't think I would be put off by Open pitlane in the future either.

www.HeritageTrackdaysco.uk

We paid £169 for the day, plus another £50 for 2 sessions (40mins total) of instruction.

I'll do Snetterton again, but want to try another track first. Maybe Rockingham in November with Honda's on Track.

Quote:Originally Posted by NORTS
Not too bad, sounds good. Did you feck the brakes and tyres enough that they need changing? Something that would put me off...... i go through rear tyres quick enough as it is. :lol:

My fronts had done 10k before yesterday and I thought the trackday would finish them off, but there is still plenty of tread left and I don't need to change them quite yet.

My mate in his M3 was really pushing on, but again it didn't completely thrash them. We were both helped by driving half the morning in the wet.
Just don't go on the track with brand new tyres, and the pressure/leverage over the height of tread will destroy them.

As for brakes, again my are fine. But I'm not too hard on them on normal day to day driving.

Its not a cheap day, but I had twice as much fun than as when I went for a Supercar experience day at Bruntingthorpe. Where even after insurance and petrol I paid more for the supercars but effectively only got 30-40mins max of driving time.

What do you do about insurance on track days? Your usual insurance doesnt cover it, and it is surely a must have?

What do you do about insurance on track days? Your usual insurance doesnt cover it, and it is surely a must have?

Depends on who you're insured with. Greenlight will do it for £50 per event and a few others offer it as well.

Some people go with a specific policy for the even but that can be pricey.

Others look at the track and if it's minimal risk, ie somewhere like Bedford Autodrome then you could probably get away with out, somewhere a bit more risky like Cadwell or Oulton it is probably worth having.

Depends on who you're insured with. Greenlight will do it for £50 per event and a few others offer it as well.

Some people go with a specific policy for the even but that can be pricey.

Others look at the track and if it's minimal risk, ie somewhere like Bedford Autodrome then you could probably get away with out, somewhere a bit more risky like Cadwell or Oulton it is probably worth having.

Yeah mine was with Greenlight for the extra £50 for the day.

My mate covered his M3 for around £70 for the day IIRC

Try Morris or Competition car insurance, they will insure you for one event :)

Great pictures.

Really want to try one of these but I have not got the guts to take my own car on track.

Maybe next year .....

Great pictures.

Really want to try one of these but I have not got the guts to take my own car on track.

Maybe next year .....

Come along to one of the HOT days, if you are unsure of driving im sure we can get you some pax laps.

Nice one Paul, sounds like a good day and you also learnt alot about the FN2 at the same time. :cool:

Money well spent. :smt047

Come along to one of the HOT days, if you are unsure of driving im sure we can get you some pax laps.

Might have to come along to one. I got my eye on the next North Weald day but not sure about the insurance side. Really don't want to damage it as I've only had it a month!

Might have to come along to one. I got my eye on the next North Weald day but not sure about the insurance side. Really don't want to damage it as I've only had it a month!

Your road insurance covers you on the NW day, and we have not had any problems to date...all very safe with just you on the course on your own...if you are a little unsure take a read of someone else in your position on the last one we ran :)

http://www.hondas-on-track.com/driverreports/2008/weald11-07-08.htm

Your road insurance covers you on the NW day, and we have not had any problems to date...all very safe with just you on the course on your own...if you are a little unsure take a read of someone else in your position on the last one we ran :)

http://www.hondas-on-track.com/driverreports/2008/weald11-07-08.htm

Thanks Lottie that was really useful reading that. I think I will come and give it a go if I can get away from my course a day early.

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off topic though!

Back