• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 So far a good decision

Had my Type R GT for a few weeks now,although have only covered just over 200 miles since I've not been too well of late.
But...far enough a I think to get a decent feel of the car and compare it to my previous one and since the car that's gone now is one of the natural competitors to the FK8 I thought some might be interested in the differences.
So the old car was a BMW M140i,which I only had for a year or so and didn't gel with it.
The best thing about it was the engine,340ps 3 litre twin scroll turbo with full torque from little more than tick over,and with the superb autobox that 80% of buyers opt for.
But the more I drove it the more it seemed like (a strange comparison!)...a muscle car,that is really quick in a straight line but not that great in other areas.
So,IMHO an FK8...
Looks better,modern and sporty versus discreet and plain.
Has far better seats.
Has better steering with more feel.
Has far better suspension,FK8 really planted on the road,the BM feeling fidgety,unsettled on anything but the smoothest road.
Has a more characterful engine,more sporty with the top end punch.
Has a brilliant manual gear box (BM manual boxes are not as well thought of)
Has an lsd.
Has better brakes.

That will do for now.BMW fans will point out that after market mods can sort a lot of issues,but that's a different game altogether.
True the BM has some nice features,but perhaps there's some truth in the feeling that,proper M cars apart,a lot just buy them for the badge.
Thanks for reading.

Had a test drive of an M140i after I'd all but convinced myself that's what I definitely wanted next and next car had to be RWD. While it was quick I didn't get on with it in the corners. Probably because the other RWD car I have regular access to, a GT86 has a LSD so feels so much better, especially at corner exit on PS4's. To get the BMW diff or a Quaife is silly money. Started researching suspension options and it's limited in some ways in terms of geometry. M4 bottom arms help but it will always be a compromise. That and having to deal with the local BMW dealer for anything I'd hate as they aren't the best. Few weeks later I got an hour with the FK8 Type-R to myself and it was night and day difference. I own a fast FWD car as it is but this was several steps on from what I have. Once the tyres were warm there was no hint of understeer or torque steer and it felt a great fit almost instantly. Was able to get up to speed far too quickly, like catching up with an old friend I'd known for years. I also liked the first 80% is easily accessible but it still makes you work for the last 20% which is exactly what I want. A Golf R I tested and was flat out instantly but it was so dull and I knew all it could do within that one drive. I'd be bored within a few days.

That was a few months ago and it's now top of my list. If i didn't have to buy a house soon I'd have one already. A fantastic base with the potential of even more and all the space I'd ever need.

Last edited by a moderator:
True the BM has some nice features,but perhaps there's some truth in the feeling that,proper M cars apart,a lot just buy them for the badge.
Thanks for reading.
I tested same day FK8R and M2 LCI. M2 boring, too linear, more body roll than FK8R, sound muted inside almost like regular BMs, less grip in corners. Unimpressive, I was like: that's it? For 55k euros (after discounts). Not to mention that LCI dash was redesigned and looked to me cheaper and uglier than the replaced version. Aaa you wanted sound then sport exhaust 3500 euros more.
Only things I liked at M2 is steering that looked to me more precise(felt like normal BM EPS) than FK8R and that the car liked to play - the back starting to go sideways easily.

For me FK8R has more character, more exciting, more nimble. Even the power/weight ratio is pretty close to M2. Also FK8R is a more practical daily driver.

Why do you think BM try to move M2 more upmarket fitting the S(M2/M4) engine? Because hot hatches were stepping on it's toes. Competition.
Looks to me the BM does not have the edge like it used to. I own a F36. Nice car, not much to fault, a bit better than average but others are catching up fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSo the old car was a BMW M140i,which I only had for a year or so and didn't gel with it.
The best thing about it was the engine,340ps 3 litre twin scroll turbo with full torque from little more than tick over,and with the superb autobox that 80% of buyers opt for.
But the more I drove it the more it seemed like (a strange comparison!)...a muscle car,that is really quick in a straight line but not that great in other areas.

Was just reading this on my phone and had to double check it it wasn't me who posted it :shock:. I had my M140i for just under a year and it didn't light my fire either. Brutally quick in a straight line, absolutely zero feel. Plus there was eleventy billion not too dissimilar one series on the road. :|

Mine went end of Feb, albeit for an FK2, but sounds like for the same reasons. Never been happier.

Back