• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

So many springs!!!

Hello everyone,

Im new to all of this and was looking for some advice,

Looking into buying some springs, as from reading other posts coilovers compromise ride comfort, and i dont really know much about who to buy them from and who does the best quality?

Thinking about a 40mm drop at front and 30mm at back c/w struts.
This coupled with spacers (maybe 20mm?) would hopefully give the aggressive stance i am after.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

If you want that sort of drop then have a look into the Eibach ABP kit.

20mm drop (front) 15mm (rear) drop on 215/45 tyres, so wider and higher profile than oem (Rota Alloys)

TypeRpolish2.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

Comfort is the same as OEM if not better. Progressive springs, so tightens up on the corners

Hope that helps

Nice! Thanks a lot for that, im thinking another 10mm on front and back so the wheels fill the arches a bit more but i dont think i will go lower than that. Sweet set of rotas, im away to get the original alloys refurbed in gunmetal crome.

so you think dropping another 10mm front and back would still give reasonable comfort with added handling? and i have heard the FRSU is a must?

Yeah I think another 10mm would still give reasonable comfort and good handling. The reason I wanted it a 20mm/15mm drop, is because of speed bumps etc, as I have heard the 30mm drop can cause issues with lower hanging exhausts. With the 20mm drop, I get no issues whatsoever, just a subtle drop. Because my tyres are thicker by 4.5mm (215 vs 205) on front and back, the arch gap is actually reduced by 24.5mm and 19.5mm

Yes, FRSU is a must either way, then you will need front camber bolts and rear camber arms to go with it.

Great mod, you wont regret it. I would say the FRSU made more difference than the springs in terms of handling though... but with both, it will stick likes it on rails....

The only exhaust part i will be modifying is the mid pipe, probably sportex, i think the stock tailpipe looks great. not a fan of 5" tubes hanging out the back.

as for fitting the FRSU i take it with ramps and the right tools it is a possible in house mod?
looking at rear camber arms just now, looking at just over £100 for a decent pair? and the camber bolts are £20-30?

Hope all these questions i am asking might help someone else who is new to the type r forum!!!

Fitting the FRSU??

Yes, you can fit the arms and bolts yourself (eibachs are also the recommended ones), but the actual FRSU (ie geometry) you will have to go to a garage, some of the recommended one ares, ABP Motorsport, Areamotorsport, TGM to name but a few.

Review from a CTRO member ....

Newannaive said:
Oh hi there...

So I went to Areamotorsport the other night to have my car setup for oulton park...and offered to help get there name out there as imo it's been far too long since we in the midlands had something to shout about. This is me shouting.. :wink:

It's a new venture by an already well established motorsport company. They have 3 or 4 EP3 project cars on the go, from customers cars to race cars, n/a and turbo, all custom made stuff and not much generic forum mods at all...if any. They also had lots of custom made chassis mods that I have never seen before, but will be acquiring. Cool stuff such as camber arms, LCA's, castor and camber adjustable ball joints and bushes etc etc. Designed and produced by themselves, and some more in the pipeline apparently, plus oil coolers etc. First impression for me is that they are the "Clockwise Motion" of the project car world. If you know Clockwise, you'll know what I mean :cooldude:

So arrived at the current premises, although an all new unit is being built apparently which is nice. :smile:

They got the car up onto the scales and all associated gizmo's attached to each hub plate.

1DSC_0001.jpg

1DSC_0003.jpg

1DSC_0004.jpg

The car weighed in at 1149.5 which is nice to know, still has oem seats, doorcards, side trim, stereo, 4 speakers, airbags etc.

1DSC_0009.jpg

Had a little chat with the mechanics, a little out of my depth with these guys tbh, as they are uber motorsport orientated but they were happy to stop and explain stuff in laymans terms so I could keep up with what was happening. Very interesting how they corner weight the car and what other checks they can do with this equipment, such as detecting bump steer, pin pointing the cause and measuring the extent of it. I watched as they took readings as the wheels were being turned lock to lock and lots of really cool stuff was happening on the screen which was highly technical but looked cool. :wink:

Got a little screen shot of the front camber/toe readings after. There were similar readouts for the full geo such as castor, rear camber/toe and K.P.I. readings etc and I had a printout of the whole lot to take home as well.

1DSC_0008.jpg

The accuracy of this method is absolute. I don't know what else to call it tbh. They got it 100% perfect. I never expected that at all as I've been round long enough to know that nothing is perfect.

I've not been on track yet, but will be on Tuesday at Oulton park so hoping it performs well. What little grief I have been able to give it on the way home from them has been great. It feels so balanced now, unlike it ever has before. It just makes sense when you think about it, corner weighting balances the car, combined with an accurately setup chassis, and boom...it feels perfectly balanced. Simple.
I should have had this done along time ago.

Thanks to the guys at Areamotorsport for their time and effort....and tea. :wink:

Thats awesome! thanks for that, i had a thought that it was going to be a bit more complicated than i first anticipated, but thats the learning curve i suppose!

really looking forward to getting under the car and achieving my own spin on a hot-hatch classic.

once i have got everything ordered and fitted i wll stick up some photos so you guys can see the finished product!!

All the best!

Back