• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

So what happens when moisture gets past the filter? (not hydrolock)

With all the shitty weather & rain we've been having lately, I've began to wonder.

So many of us have direct ram-air intakes, cramming in air and everything else that goes into the bumper or grille mounted intake pipes/hoses/ducts.
Over the years, with different cars & setups, I've noticed one common theme: the accumulation of bugs, dirt, leaves and moisture in and around filters, heatsheilds and airboxes.
So surely there must be a certain amount of moist air that gets past the filter gauze and into the engine?
What harm can it do? Will it just be combusted like a water spray system?

But what about the path in between? The MAF sensor, throttle body, intake manifold, valve & springs, pistons.... are they at risk from corrosion or even erosion?!

C'mon, someone educate me please.

They'd be corrosion eventually, nearly all metals oxidise in the end. Erosion though, no not really.

Aside from very hot and dry places such as death valley, all air has some degree of moisture in it, and judging by the millions of cars that drive around in the rain and high humidity climates, it's really right at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.

Cheers. That was an interesting read, i guess i will have to check my oil cap later. I remember seeing once (on another car), a rusty dipstick!

I'm just a bit paranoid cos when I see the amount of crap coming onto my windscreen, and think that my open intake is just above the grille 'Type R' badge.....

Yeah, as Skeleton Ops said, its nothing to worry about really. I'm far more concerned at the moment about the salt that is undoubtably eating away at my car's underside as we speak :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Theoretically, an increased level of moisture in the intake air will dampen the combustion, reducing power. In a deisel it will actually delay the 'bang'.

I recall, from where I cannot say, I remember there being a reason to actually add water vapor to the airflow to prevent knocking (pre-TDC combustion) where the RON of the fuel could not be realistically increased further.

Nothing to worry about, no noticable corrosion will occur unless you have some kind of oilway blockage, in which case you have bigger things to worry about!

Back