• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 Some questions about DC5's :)

Hi guys,

Am thinking about getting a DC5 and have some q's that I hope you guys could answer, sorry but there's quite a few of them :D and go easy on me i'm new :p

1 - Once i've got my DC5 i'm considering the turbo route for forced induction has anyone got a turbo'd DC5 on here? Or does anyone have any knowledge on this e.g. power the KA20 can run safely before uprated internals are needed, power the gearbox is cable of holding etc etc?

2 - I've found a few websites such as vtech-direct / unit8 is there any other good sites for parts for DC5's?

3 - In terms of bodywork is there any differences between the US Acura RSX e.g. do body panels (bumpers/splitters/spoilers) fit on the JDM DC5?

4 - Any words of wisdom about DC5's and what to look for?

5 - Probably the most important of all but as I have a little one of 5 years old he's fast growing up, I've heard the DC5's are deceptively spacious given their size but how is the rear leg room?

Best
Dan

clockwisemotion, cplracing, tdinorth, tougedistribution, rhdjapan, all have a .com or .co.uk just goggle em, but they all have parts for the DC5, mostly the same at slightly different prices. I must say *** that TDI north seem to really know what they're at with the K20A engine. That's purpely based on what i've seen or read on the net I must say! As for leg room in the back, it is more than you'd think but its no Maybac. Headroom is, well under 5 feet need only apply!

Some of this will have been done in more detail elsewhere on the forum so have a search around (the buyers guide type stuff for example).

1. Most people supercharge their tegs rather than turbo, turbo seems more popular in the US. In terms of power from charged cars, most people are looking at a little over 300bhp @ around 6psi iirc. That is after a lot of money has been thrown at it so be prepared to shell out if you're going that route. Check some of the US RSX forums for more info on turbos.

2. Firstly it's VTEC :). Plenty of traders in that section of this forum will supply parts. Touge seem to be very well received here and do almost everything you'll ever need.

3. They are identical iirc, any bodykit will fit. Be wary though, the DC5 is a very good looking car and many of the stupid bodykits made for it spoil the looks!

4. Make sure it's been looked after well, regular oil and good servicing. The only recall for the DC5 was the steering rack, this can be checked easily, head on over to itr-dc5.com as there is a thread on it. Usual checks for a second hand car really. In terms of getting the car serviced there are a few really good, well respected garages. If you're anywhere within a few hours drive of TGM in Fleet then I would go there. Used to be about an hours drive for me and I'd never take a Type R anywhere else!

5. As The One said, the back is pretty spacious for legs but anyone over about 5.5 ft will struggle with headroom. Would be fine for a kid. The boot is massive too!

Hope that's of some use.

thanks nefor pretty much told me all I needed to know :)

And re: point 3 I wasn't looking at many bodykits although the NGS kit is nice, i'm only really thinking carbon rear spoiler and carbon front lower lip on the stock bumper :) nice and subtle already looking at the Seibon range for this.

Thanks again for the advice, also 1 further q regarding tax? I've heard it's a bit hit and miss on what you pay depending on how it's been registered?

thanks nefor pretty much told me all I needed to know :)

And re: point 3 I wasn't looking at many bodykits although the NGS kit is nice, i'm only really thinking carbon rear spoiler and carbon front lower lip on the stock bumper :) nice and subtle already looking at the Seibon range for this.

Thanks again for the advice, also 1 further q regarding tax? I've heard it's a bit hit and miss on what you pay depending on how it's been registered?

I've seen a few good looking DC5s with carbon bonnet, dark wheels and carbon rear spoiler. Seibon stuff is generally very good too.

Tax wise, yes hit and miss! My old 5 was in the 400 bracket but plenty are still about at £200 or £300. This is down to how it was registered when it was brought into the county. Cars that are in the £200 bracket are registered as PLG which is a bit of a loophole in the law... the £300 cars usually have the later model report that states a lower g/km output than the early model report (which is what mine was done with). Any 5 from 2002 onwards iirc can be registered for the 200 or 300 but 2001-02 can be any of the three from what I recall.

It's all a bit odd...

Last edited by a moderator:
haha yeah I did hear that :)

Yeah I really have my heart set on a red DC5 but these are proving fairly rare, failing that it's going to be champ white, probably won't go for a carbon bonnet innitially and just get a seibon lower front lip and seibon rear spoiler, then maybe keep the stock rims btu have them powder coated black with a white lip :)

Don't turbo/charge a jap K20 engine. They're weaker then the European variant when it comes to heat tolerance and will probably go bang if you run it any higher than about 4-6psi.

If you want a turbocharged car, buy one that was designed for it in the first place. It will be miles cheaper to tune too.

awesome thanks Jermal, how about superchargers on the jap ones?

Different methods for the same problem. It's not about how the increased power is gained, it's about the heat that's generated.

If I wanted to get noticeable power out of a jap K20 engine I would go down the aggresive cam route. Certainly not cheap though.

agreed, will bare that in mind though mate :) thanks a lot also lovely DC5 you have by the way.

Thanks again jermal i'll have a look at other methods

Back