• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sounds like Someone Ate Cereal!

Sounds like someone is actually eating cereal extremely loud in my ear...sort of a rattle on cold start ups, not every time but most times.

Even happens after driving the car that day and being left for few hours, before jumping back in it. Ratttttttttttttttttttttleeeeeeee...1..2..3...seconds then it's gone :/

Have posted on another thread, sort of hijacked it I suppose, my bad. Thought I'd best start my own.

Going in on Friday to get checked over and hopefully find the route of the problem, after reading through the forums intensively...I have gathered that it can either be the Vtec gear or some chain along with the tensioner. Correct me if i'm acting like a tool :confused:

My worst nightmare is the Chain, i've read £1400 from a Honda dealership on here...maybe a lot less for a local garage ( I am hoping).

I do have the exhaust manifold heatshield that is rusted at the bottom secure point. Making no contact or secure-ness to the manifold itself at the bottom bolt. I am still waiting on a new manifold arriving for that...Now i'm thinking, perhaps it's just that rattling away off the manifold on start ups, will need to try budge something underneath the shield temporarily to see if that stops the noisy rattle on "all engines a go-go"...

Suggestions? :D

*Update*

Car went into the garage today to get the noise found and fixed.

After sourcing a lot of information over the web these past few days, and listening to where the noise is coming from, it is most definately without a doubt...around the cam area, leading me and others to believe it is simply the cam chain tensioner that is not providing enough pressure on the chain from the oil line, causing the chain to rattle on cold starts.

I will keep the post updated, so that others with similar problems can use the post as a "go-to" if need be.

Ok, The tensioner was the root of the problem, but due to the noise happening for more than a few days or perhaps longer and me not noticing it, I have decided to get the chain replaced at the same time. Although it is an added cost, It is cheaper for me to do it now when the work is already being done on that section of the engine and save myself the labour costs again further down the line. So the kit was ordered for tensioner, chain and guides so everything will be in tip-top condition when I get the car back on Monday :) Will admit that I do miss her like mad, currently driving my dad's diesel insignia and it just isn't the same fun, it's too sensible getting ridiculous MPG when really I want the low MPG guzzler back :(

If anyone is interested I paid £340 for the car to have the chain, tensioner done and that includes labour :) Got quoted ridiculous amounts by a local Honda Dealership.

Funny thing is, the guy who owns the garage is ex-honda haha

It appears i'm talking to myself, first sign of madness.

Merely an update for others who may have the same problem as i did. :(

Thankfully, to say...The car is running as sweet as Mr Kippling's Exceedingly good cakes :)

Tensioner, chain and guides all replaced, rattle-be-gone.

Treated her to a nice trip down the beach first thing this morning before work to make her feel good after her illness ha ha :)
14095578321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it appears, that the car is back making the same noise, along with more noises. Sounds like a tip-tap coming from the head now. The car as a whole now sounds worse now than it did before going in. They are telling me they never adjusted the valve clearances, as that was the next thing to do if it didn't fix the issue. In all fairness, i don't even know whether or not they actually changed the chain now or tensioner.

Total Rage! Going into Triple H Performance now to get the problems sorted, thanks to you Dave for the information on them again :)

Certainly a name of shame coming in the appropriate section of the forum.

Quick update...I have added a video to you tube for others to listen to the noise and perhaps see that their car is making the same noise. Still to take the car in to Triple H tomorrow, so will keep the post updated as and when I hear information back.

[video=youtube;WgkI9kdpaNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgkI9kdpaNE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Another update:

The car went into Triple H Performance as the bottom end has gone.

On the brighter side of things, the car has been fitted with a brand new chain, a brand new tensioner and new guides.

The car is stripped down to it's balls just now, getting a bottom end rebuild and I should hopefully have her back before this weekend :)

"bottom end" that sounds expensive mate! What sort of money is a bottom end rebuild going for? hope it actually rectifies the problem for you this time!

full bottom end rebuild, new crank, new aftermarket clutch also as it was hitting the blue nearly turning to dust.
expensive in my eyes for only having the car 3 months...£1900 or there abouts all in.
Least when its done the car will be like new :)

Aye that's a bit of a sh it er for you but at least you are getting it sorted. Take it your turbo plans are on hold for a while now then?

Yeah, for now until i get the car back at least, although I will be talking to Henry about it all, as the misses refuses to allow me to buy myself an r33 gtr, but she allows me to get the civic turbo charged haha

Yes it is pretty expensive although it will be almost like a new car! I've had my car 3 weeks and my gearbox input shaft bearings have gave up the ghost so its a similar story to yours, although not going to be quite as expensive! I guess its the risk you take upon buying a 10 year old performance car :p

Tell me about it, but it will be worth it in the long run :)

ADL BluePrint clutch that's going in it, apparently not a bad clutch. Don't think the clutch has ever been changed in the car according to the service manual and receipts that came with the car.

Only had 2 owners from new. But don't think the previous owner of 6 years looked after it as much as i'd have liked to :)

Now getting the car back on Sunday...been 3-4 weeks now without her, stuck with a big diesel having zero fun on backroads to work :(

Yes sure will be worth it, I'm the fourth owner of my premier and it seems a strong car apart from this gearbox bearing :mad: I phoned TDI north and a clutch replacement will be £500 with oem clutch and while box is out parts and labour on top for the gearbox work/split. Will be like a new gearbox when i bite the bullet, but its going to be some big pennies haha..

£500 seems about right, Henry at Triple H Performance never charged me labour as the engine was out the car anyway, so sort of saved myself a fair amount on labour for the clutch. Could have lasted another 1000 miles or so, but it was slipping...so decided if the cars getting sorted, may as well get the car done properly.

Car delayed until Tuesday now as the crank seals won't arrive until Saturday. Tuesday cannot come quick enough :)

10 year old performance car...you are right in some sense, but in all seriousness the money I spent on the car, plus the money I am paying now for the rebuild, clutch, chain, tensioner and guides. I could've put another £1500 and bought myself a R33 GTR haha

But again, in all seriousness...i'm sure in the long run that would've cost me a lot more with an endless money supply needed to upkeep it.

Next plans were to either turbocharge or supercharge the civic, but I have even considered a stroker kit for around the same money or even a 2.4 accord head on it.

Now, I am contemplating keeping the car as standard as possible without any forced induction or head swaps, sticking a K-Pro in it, decat, new inlet manifold, perhaps new throttle bodies and a few other bits and bobs along with a remap to take it around the 250bhp mark. Been told that I would notice a major difference whilst keeping the engine under no more strain than usual.

Seems the cheeper option for good power gains.

Also the fact that I plan on buying a shagged scooby for a project after the new year, giving me time to tinker around with something for the year...perhaps build a track car. Honestly cannot make up my mind :)

Hopefully, your gearbox gets sorted bud and Burnley don't hump use tomorrow ;)

Update*

Got the car back today, full bottom end rebuild, new ADL Blueprint clutch, new crank rod, new timing chain, new guides and new tensioner.

Can honestly say driving it home below 4000rpm was lovely to hear the engine purr, no noises, no rattles, no clutch slip, no knocking...nada!

Can't recommend enough Henry Roy at Triple H Performance in Ayrshire. Guy knows his stuff, a quick google search will pull his name up everywhere on forums and beyond.

Spoke to him when picking up the car for a road test before taking the keys back, and will definately be going down the Turbocharged route, around the 340bhp mark for starters...then when money is available...600bhp mark. Certainly put my mind at ease with the whole idea of going for that much power. Will need to start putting a full build thread together just now, so people can have a look at what's getting done currently and what's been done now the cars been rebuilt from the bottom up.

Any idea why the bottom end went? Apologies if you've posted, but what was the exact issue?

it appears that the previous owner hadnt paid much attention to the oil levels within the car. Along with a slack chain didnt help as the tensioner went.

The bearings were run dry due to low oil :(

Back