• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

SP30 3 points

Back in March last year I got 3 points for speeding, I was doing 76 in a 50 on an empty dual carridgeway at 10.20 in the morning.

I renewed my insurance in November and in the last week recieved a letter stating they had not added the SP30 on to my insurance and are wanting another £224.

I have been driving 10 years and this is the first points I have ever recieved. What I am wanting to know is does £224 extra seem right ?? and if not what can I do. Is there an insurance ombudsman that can tell me if this amount is acceptable or not ?

I did question them about the amount and their reply was, we base the fine on the situation, so empry dual carridgeway, 10.20 in the morning and some nob on a bridge with a gun.

Unless you want to fullfill your years NCB, I would change insurance comp asap. Its what competition is all about..

SP30 and 3 points is very common nowadays, so wouldn't have thought it would cost that much more to insure you - but I expect it does to some degree, depend on your history.

I have 6 points for SP50 and have never been quoted much above a 0 point license.

I have no history, clean right up until I got this and I have full protected NCB.

I do have an insurance job going through on my car at the moment but theo other party admitted liability so if I cancel the insurance how does it affect this ?

Yup, it sucks, my SP30 stuck about £200 on my premium with direct line... When i changed to CCI it only added £30 :evil:

Robbing buggers the lot of them!

If I were you, I'd phone up your insurance company and ask them what they are doing.

I would ask to speak to a manager.

I had so much trouble with my insurance company, when someone hit me - I read them the riot act and they promptly hung themselves - as they got it completely wrong.

I'd also phone about and see if another company can help you out...

Jason said:
I do have an insurance job going through on my car at the moment but theo other party admitted liability so if I cancel the insurance how does it affect this ?

I wouldn't know, but sounds like you ought to stick with them until the settlement has been made.
FYI I'm with Norwich Union Direct, and when I got my insurance, they weren't bothered about how many points I had, just asked me what code I had. So you could have 9 points for 3 SP30's and they wouldn't need to know :wink:

Superfli said:
Jason said:

I wouldn't know, but sounds like you ought to stick with them until the settlement has been made.
FYI I'm with Norwich Union Direct, and when I got my insurance, they weren't bothered about how many points I had, just asked me what code I had. So you could have 9 points for 3 SP30's and they wouldn't need to know :wink:

I am sticking with them for now just refused the bank to give them the payement.

Am I right in assuming that you told them about it and it was there error that they didn't charge you for it ??

Then escalate within the company and say you are not willing to pay, also contact the onbudsman.

For all they know you could have had other quotes which were less than theirs plus the £224, that way you would not have insured with them. Whether the extra seems right or not, if you were undercharged in a shop, they couldn't then come after you asking for more money.

Way I see it, their mistake, done deal.

However if you didn't tell them, then pay up, without it your insurance is invalid.

Jason said:
Back in March last year I got 3 points for speeding, I was doing 76 in a 50 on an empty dual carridgeway at 10.20 in the morning.

I renewed my insurance in November and in the last week recieved a letter stating they had not added the SP30 on to my insurance and are wanting another £224.

sounds a bit harsh to me...I got an SP50 last year for doing 108 on the M6 early on a sunday morning (heading to santa pod!)
didn't make any change to my insurance at all :? (they tried to put it up £10 at renewal but I found a cheaper quote which they then matched so I actually paid less in the end)

mine didnt go up at all, or on renewal.

sp 30, 3 points now with chris knotts insurance broker.

my insurance didn't change when i got an sp30. the guy on the phone actually said to me there so common these days they don't normally bother with any extra charges.

definatyl question it. £200 plus extra is just wrong.

I told them in March then when the insurance was renewed they didn't add it on so sent me a letter asking for a further £224 to cover the fine.

I told them in March then when the insurance was renewed they didn't add it on so sent me a letter asking for a further £224 to cover the fine.

When i got my SP30 I phoned my insurance company and they told me not to worry as the first 3 are always free.

My quotes come out cheaper with SP30, but then again I have had it since 2003.

Back