• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spark Plug Removal Tool

Went to remove my spark plugs today but my blue/chrome spark plug removal tool from Halfords is too hard to use. It fit's but... where the spark plug is so tight and the tool can pivot and has short arms its hard to start undoing the plugs. Is there an easier tool to use? I've seen someone shaving down a 1 piece metal tool but i'm looking for something i can just buy and works to use - what do you use?

These dedicated T-handle swivel spark plug tools from halfords are total guff. Try putting a ring spanner over one side of the T to give you extra leverage when undoing the plugs. Otherwise there are proper spark plug deep sockets that attach to 1/2" drive ratchets that work beautifully.

Apologies for thread resurrection, but I wanted to add some comments as I found little info about this after searching.

Halfords advanced 14mm circa 5 quid, perfect.

I think that the long laser spark plug socket would be easier, but if you don't want to buy that and already have a Halfords socket set, it will work.

Only just insert the new plug into the rubber in the socket (enough to hold the plug whilst you lower and finger tighten) but not so far that the flats are engaged. This will enable you to remove the socket from the bore without fuss. Do all four this way.

Remove the rubber from the socket and finish tightening the plugs, 18nm according to Honda. I stopped at 16nm, as it felt sufficient. Because the rubber is out, the plug won't try to stay in the bore.

Back