• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spongy brakes after rear calipers off

Hello All

I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I have replaced the pistons on the 2 rear calipers of my EP3 (I then found out that one of the bleed nipples was completely seized so had to replace one of my newly rebuilt calipers with a reconditioned one from brakeparts, which was fun. Lesson – Always check your nipples first). I have also replaced the discs and pads.

After re-installing the rebuilt and reconditioned calipers I bleed them both. The brakes felt really spongy so I bled them both again but there was little improvement. When I press hard on the brakes they do still seem effective but there is a lot of travel in the pedal before it starts working to any degree.

Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Even though I have only removed the rears, is bleeding the fronts likely to improve the situation?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
There will air in the system somewhere.

Full bleed with some new fluid would be my advice. If you're doing it yourself it won't be too expensive.

Sounds like air mate,

If you didnt `crimp` the hoses when you took the callipers off, you can end up with air right back up at the ABS pump,

if this is the case then you would need to do all 4 corners to eliminate the bubbles, as the long pedal travel is you compressing the air before the brake fluid.

there shoud be a how-to on here telling you what corners to do in what order to eliminate the air.

Hope that helps a little.

Andy

Thanks very much for the replies. I have now booked it in to have a full brake fluid flush. I am hoping it is just air.

I was getting concerned that I could have caused an issue with another part of the brake system by having the calipers off. I did crimp the brake lines though.

chances are its just air mate, will do it good at the front if you havent had your fluid changed in a good while!

Mines due in this weekend for braided lines/pads/discs and better fluid this saturday!

Cheers moltenice

Unless a brake fluid flush is part of any of the Honda service intervals I have never had it done. In which case its well overdue as I'm on nearly 160k miles.

You should notice a massive difference with all your brake work.

Depends on what fluid you use, but if the car is driven hard then every year would be good, i think normal fluid from honda is rated for about 3 years .

It should make a fair difference , the dc5 brakes arent to bad to start with, but uprated pads and discs should help !

I had this an an old car, spending Sunday afternoon drilling out a bleed screw when you hope to use the car the next day is no fun.

Now I always apply copper grease on the bleed screw threads, some also believe it helps to prevent air being taken in past the threads when you are bleeding.

I'm pretty sure that Honda suggest changing the fluid every three years, although I don't think mine had ever been changed in the eight years before I owned it. It will make a big difference (once you get the bubbles out) with new fluid after 160k!

Quick question chaps; can you crimp braided lines?

I say no. The properties that make them less prone to expansion will be working against you. Short M10 bolt with a nut and a couple of sealing washers to minimise loss / mess?

Sent using Tapatalk

Back