• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spoon N1 - Raspy Sound or other?

I currently have the standard EP3 backback and an unsilenced sportex B-Pipe. This gives a very nice raspy sound, especially at lower to mid revs. The problem with this setup is the B-Pipe scrapes on certain speed bumps. The other thing is when the car gets to higher revs, the engine note changes from raspy to droney. Idealy, I would like to keep the raspy sound.

One option of was thinking about was to go back to the standard EP3 B-Pipe to cure the speed bump issue and get a Spoon N1 back box. However, I really don't want to lose that raspy sound. Would I keep this raspy tone with this setup or would I get a totally different sound again going back to the OEM B-Pipe and a Spoon N1 backbox?

I have viewed some Youtube vids but in all honesty its quite difficult to tell listening on a computer. Would be interested to hear from people who have this setup. Cheers.

I currently have the standard EP3 backback and an unsilenced sportex B-Pipe. This gives a very nice raspy sound, especially at lower to mid revs. The problem with this setup is the B-Pipe scrapes on certain speed bumps. The other thing is when the car gets to higher revs, the engine note changes from raspy to droney. Idealy, I would like to keep the raspy sound.

One option of was thinking about was to go back to the standard EP3 B-Pipe to cure the speed bump issue and get a Spoon N1 back box. However, I really don't want to lose that raspy sound. Would I keep this raspy tone with this setup or would I get a totally different sound again going back to the OEM B-Pipe and a Spoon N1 backbox?

I have viewed some Youtube vids but in all honesty its quite difficult to tell listening on a computer. Would be interested to hear from people who have this setup. Cheers.

I have had the Sportex b pipe and Spoon N1 setup, Most of the rasp comes from the b pipe. It was fairly deep sounding on start up, there was a lot more rasp higher up the rev range with this combo. I hadnt tried the setup with the standard b pipe as mine was past it. (I dont notice any drone currently with same set up as you, i find a pretty quiet set up) I now have the sportex b pipe and OEM back box (as ive had to sell the N1 :( due to paycut).
I think you would lose alot of the rasp you have now as the N1 will deepen the tone.

Have you looked at other unsilenced b pipes that dont hang as low? as i know the sportex hang very low. The sportex b pipes hang really low on all different car fittments. The mild steel on the sportex is heavy and unforgiving with scrapes.

I have had the Sportex b pipe and Spoon N1 setup, Most of the rasp comes from the b pipe. It was fairly deep sounding on start up, there was a lot more rasp higher up the rev range with this combo. I hadnt tried the setup with the standard b pipe as mine was past it. (I dont notice any drone currently with same set up as you, i find a pretty quiet set up) I now have the sportex b pipe and OEM back box (as ive had to sell the N1 :( due to paycut).
I think you would lose alot of the rasp you have now as the N1 will deepen the tone.

Have you looked at other unsilenced b pipes that dont hang as low? as i know the sportex hang very low. The sportex b pipes hang really low on all different car fittments. The mild steel on the sportex is heavy and unforgiving with scrapes.

Thanks for the reply. I had not considered any alternative B-Pipes as I thought they all hanged down low. If others don't and its just the Sportex one then this could be my answer. Do you have any recommendations for alternative B-Pipes?

Unless your car is lowered you shouldn't have any issues with a b-pipe and scrapes, they don't or shouldn't hang that low and should be similar to the standard one. The Spoon b-pipe (which is what I would look at) sits fine and has no issues with scraping on a standard car or indeed one lowered on springs (within reason)

+1 for Spoon Bpipe.

I would only go for the spoon stuff if you absolutely positively never plan on doing a trackday/ spa or ring trip.

Unless your car is lowered you shouldn't have any issues with a b-pipe and scrapes, they don't or shouldn't hang that low and should be similar to the standard one. The Spoon b-pipe (which is what I would look at) sits fine and has no issues with scraping on a standard car or indeed one lowered on springs (within reason)

My EP3 before it was lowered would scrape on certain speedbumps but we do have some aggresive speed bumps around here :(

The sportex b pipe does scrape even at stupidly low speeds on harsh speed bumps even when not lowered. It's a faily crap design. But for the price you can't complain.

The other thing is when the car gets to higher revs, the engine note changes from raspy to droney

I have the same setup, apart from mine is 2" custom unsilenced b-pipe... and I know what you mean, when you get close to 4000rpm the engine note changes and becomes droney... but it seems to calm down abit once you pass 45-4700rpm. Is this the same with yours?

Would changing to a silenced b-pipe affect performance? and would it get rid of the drone?

I have the same setup, apart from mine is 2" custom unsilenced b-pipe... and I know what you mean, when you get close to 4000rpm the engine note changes and becomes droney... but it seems to calm down abit once you pass 45-4700rpm. Is this the same with yours?

Would changing to a silenced b-pipe affect performance? and would it get rid of the drone?

Yes, thats what mine does. I do believe going to silenced would affect performance. To what degree I don't know but I guess not a lot. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to clarify.

Back