• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sport w/ Type-S 2.0 Engine??

Hi, my partner bought a 2004 Civic Sport and we think that it has had the engine changed.. The tech specs say top speed for a 1.6 Sport is 116 MPH but with one passenger we were able to do 130 MPH. Is there a possibility that it's just been tuned or would it be more like it's been replaced with a Type-S 2.0i VTEC?

We can't tell if it's a 1.6 or not from power because the clutch has almost gone so whenever we try and floor it in a low gear the car just revs

Cheers

Compare the engine number and VIN number, the VIN number should be made up of part of the engine number.

You wont really able to gauage a engine capacity by top speed there are too many variables in it.

I've just had a look at the engine and I guess it should be on the right hand side... there's a sticker which has some what been destroyed so I can't tell. Just did a car text check and that all checks out ok but doesn't tell me anything about the engine. My girlfriend bought it from a garage from London in July 2009 under the pretense that it was a 1.6 but we can't prove it.

I already know what it should be on car docs it says 01590 but for a 1.6 to do 130MPH even with mods is too odd

I already know what it should be on car docs it says 01590 but for a 1.6 to do 130MPH even with mods is too odd

My Old 106 GTi could get near that, it used to read 140mph on the clock sometimes.

speedo's can generally be 8% to 10% out.

Oh yeah it will be, without doubt. S2000 is pretty acurate when measuring against the sat nav though.

Holding it at 120mph on Santa Pod* the sat nav reads 118mph.

Thanks for your responses, I will just have to take it to a garage to find out or have a race with a Type-S or another Sport

Thanks for your responses, I will just have to take it to a garage to find out or have a race with a Type-S or another Sport

No mention of racing other cars please.

Just take a picture of the engine bay and put it up on here.

yeah as hasnic said take a picture of the engine and someone will be able to tell you what it is

This is a pic of a Type S 2.0 engine. My wife's old car.

Dscf0691.jpg

A 1.6 Sport should look like this just without the purple earthing kit:

garyengine.jpg

easy way to tell is where the airbox is top right is a type r or a type s . sport is on the left

Back