• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

admittedly there has been quite a few motorway munching miles since my ownership, but certainly the first 4500 miles while she was a demonstrator would've been somewhat spirited trial events so like you I'm pleasantly surprised to have got 8500 miles out of them.

maybe the tarmac up there in Scotland is more abrasive than darn sarf. :lol: although the general state of all UK roads I think we'll be soon changing wheels more often than tyres with the amount of pot holes about the place. ](*,)

admittedly there has been quite a few motorway munching miles since my ownership, but certainly the first 4500 miles while she was a demonstrator would've been somewhat spirited trial events so like you I'm pleasantly surprised to have got 8500 miles out of them.

maybe the tarmac up there in Scotland is more abrasive than darn sarf. :lol: although the general state of all UK roads I think we'll be soon changing wheels more often than tyres with the amount of pot holes about the place. ](*,)

See my earlier post (page 5) re alloy insurance.
Seems a no-brainer for exactly that reason! And not just because I live in the land of hard-as-nails tarmac.
;-)

Neil

I think currently, the best available tyre for this car would be Pilot Sport 4S, unless of course more track days are involved.

To make matters even worse I took it super easy (relatively speaking)for the first 1000.
Add another 1300 of gentle driving and my fronts are 5.5 with rears on 6.5.
There's something not right somewhere. :lol:
Seriously can't understand it judging from the above wear rates.

To make matters even worse I took it super easy (relatively speaking)for the first 1000.
Add another 1300 of gentle driving and my fronts are 5.5 with rears on 6.5.
There's something not right somewhere. :lol:
Seriously can't understand it judging from the above wear rates.

I'm assuming you have checked tyre pressures?

I think currently, the best available tyre for this car would be Pilot Sport 4S, unless of course more track days are involved.

That's what I'm going for next :D

My main concern with the Sport Contact 6 tyre is that IMO they are awful in the cold/wet :!:

Should hopefully be able to get the power down,in a straight line,by about August :lol:

Regards,Mark.

My main concern with the Sport Contact 6 tyre is that IMO they are awful in the cold/wet
While I think they are good in the wet, I agree they are the worst I've ever driven on in freezing conditions and snow.
I've never had a problem during the winter before.....so that's another reason for me to get rid of them.

Had the Sport Contact 5P on the FN2 & those seemed pretty good year round but it was N/A & had over 100bhp less so no doubt that makes a BIG difference ;)

Regards,Mark.

I'm out of ideas unless you are eating more pies than other FK8 owners and are carrying some extra timber.
I do like pies....and while I could do with losing the odd stone....I'm out of ideas too. :lol:
Seriously, it just doesn't compute that others could be getting significantly better wear, but I think they are definitely in the very fortunate minority. :)

Ron aren't you in Scotland? Do they have paved roads up there yet? Could be all the cobble, rock, gravel, stone and hay that is wearing yours out...:lol:

Depends greatly on how you use the car & not just the amount of miles covered :)

1000 miles around town,with lots of pulling away from junctions etc,will surely wear the front tyres more than 1000 miles cruising on the motorway :wink:

Regards,Mark.

Ron,

This is what happens when your car is in for service :p

The mechanics have to road test it...plenty of opportunity for tyre wear there :lol:

[video=youtube;_jWwjzHGsJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWwjzHGsJY&sns=em[/video]

Regards,Mark.

Depends greatly on how you use the car
1000 miles around town,with lots of pulling away from junctions etc,will surely wear the front tyres more than 1000 miles cruising on the motorway
I completely agree Mark. :)
Probably around half to 3 quarters of my miles are urban, but I am always gentle picking away and never spin the wheels. I honestly do drive my car gently.
Am I to assume the people who are getting much better wear than me are cruising up and down the motorway....because even that could not account for being virtually twice as good.
One thing is for sure....I am totally justified in wanting rid of these tyres. ;)

Hi from NZ. My FK2 has now done 9600km (6000m) in 5 months and the Conti 6s are still showing great wear. Car is a daily driver. Maybe coming down to road surface/... Plenty of spirited driving but no track use. However ........ I will be thinking twice about tyres with new Conti 6s at NZ$650 each so interested in the opinions being shared.

Back