• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sportex

Took the plunge and bought the sportex "racetube"/unsilenced b pipe, Read all the hype about them being difficult to fit ect ect. Managed to get mine fitted in 35 minutes at work today, (i work in a car garage so had the facilities).

Only slightly difficult parts was the welds on the new pipe. The old bolts from the exhaust came straight off with a good smashing of a hammer and some lube, removed the pipe, levered out the old donut gasket and die grinded the rest out, buffed down the cat end flange too, die grinded down the welds on the new tube because when they weld it it seeps over to where the nut should go so it wont sit flush, got new exhaust bolts/springs and nuts, offered it up with some exhaust sealant round the cat end and round the donut washer going on to the backbox, tightened up the bolts and hey presto.

Just thought id write up my experience because i know how frustrated i was getting about choosing and exhaust/pipe and trying to find an easy upgrade! It sounds pretty nice now, Not loud at all, first starting it up sounds slightly deeper, give it a little blip and again abit deeper but not like woah thats way too loud, personally i think it sounds how it should of out the factory.

The only time it gets slightly loud is in vtec but anyone who complains about too much noise in vtec clearly shouldnt have a hot hatch! For me its not quite loud enough yet, at normal driving it literally is normal, hardly any change at all, cant really hear anything with the windows shut.

Hope this helped some people out who were struggling with the which exhaust to go for. Id recommend sportex b pipe, £65, easy fitting and cant go wrong! then if some people want more noise then get a backbox, job done! :)

Nice write up and how you describe the sound is exactly how I find it. You will probably end up driving with the windows open more to just hear it. Just watch the speed bumps as they tend to sit lower and mine scrapes on a few around here.

Tempted to get one. Will see how harsh it is with the silenced b pipe and the magnex first though. £60 you can't go wrong.

Yeah I do drive around with the window down more! Lol and I've scraped one speed bump so far, I just drive through the middle of them now so the highest point isn't under my car, sorted!

I was really fancying one of these but it seems pointless now as you have all said thers no difference in sound lol i was honestly expecting a louder deeper note , i wonder if the scorpion race tube would be better?

I've heard the sportex or supersprint b pipe is loads better than the scorpion with the diameter of 2.5" where as the scorpions only 2".

I was really fancying one of these but it seems pointless now as you have all said thers no difference in sound lol i was honestly expecting a louder deeper note , i wonder if the scorpion race tube would be better?

It does sound different. Its more raspy and a little louder. Its just not really stupid loud. If thats what you want then you need a whole new cat back exhaust.

Aye, it's definately louder than standard, I love the sound it makes. I've had mine on for about 8 months now, had the car up on a lift a few weeks ago and had a good look, it's got a few scrapes but nothing to worry about.

Now that I'm used to it, I'm debating going a bit louder. Though I already feel that much more noise will get seriously irritating on long drives. I'll probably get a custom box made up to look good, but stay near to the current volume and tone.

Aye, it's definately louder than standard, I love the sound it makes. I've had mine on for about 8 months now, had the car up on a lift a few weeks ago and had a good look, it's got a few scrapes but nothing to worry about.

Now that I'm used to it, I'm debating going a bit louder. Though I already feel that much more noise will get seriously irritating on long drives. I'll probably get a custom box made up to look good, but stay near to the current volume and tone.

Yep, exactly the same as me, about 8 months old and sounds great.

I have a spoon n1 rep cat back and im wondering about swapping to a sportex pipe with the n1 rep back box
After my clutch i think i will get one

I've been told by a few of my friends now that my exhaust actually sounds awesome, I got a friend to video me overtaking him so if I can find a way to get it on here for all to have a listen I will :)

Is it too loud on idle or vtec. There isnt i video on you tube with one on a n1 rep so i cant tell if its what i want. I might opt for changing the silencer to a sport race silencer to make it in the middle. I mainly want more rasp and louder vtec unless a header would do the job then i will get that instead. My pumesta was just right all that had was sportex unsilenced mid and sportex 2.5 backbox. But i wouldnt get a sportex box again as it rusted out quite quickly

Back